• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My hummers

MN Shutterbug

I was at my Aunt and Uncle's place today, north of Appleton, and luckily they had a couple hummers in their garden. Unfortunately, the light was never right when they were in the flowers. Then again, I was just chasing them around the garden like a nut. wink I was able to approach the fluffed up one on the wire, within about 6 feet. The ones in the flowers weren't near as cooperative. I'm tempted to go back some morning with my blind and set up in the ideal spot. I'm just not satisfied with the bird in flower shots. However, that would be another 150 miles and I've got to save some miles on my car for this winter. So many destinations and so little money. frown There's Whitewater the end of Oct. for Golden Eagles, La Crosse mid Oct. with wife for the fall colors, Otter Tail area sometime this winter for Pileated Woodpeckers and I need to hit the bog again this winter.

3918159872_7d30ebe554_o.jpg

3918159564_f75d4a0ff5_o.jpg

3918159298_0d62154648_o.jpg

3918160166_1968527461_o.jpg

3918158890_47e71b5e57_o.jpg

3917371883_c4d3c9d631_o.jpg

Thanks, Hutch boys.

Dave, I pretty much have to go with the flowers in their garden, though I can see where smaller flowers would make it easier. They can't bury their head in so far. grin I was hoping to get back tomorrow morning, but have to make money instead. Maybe wednesday will work. With this warm weather, maybe they'll stick around a little longer.

Did anyone notice the little green bug on the hummer in the first photo? It's on the lower part of his chest. That's the same kind of bug that was sharing a plant with a bumblebee, in an earlier photo in the Photo Sharing forum. Someone said that they can really bite. I hope the poor little birdy didn't get bit.

I just called my cousin, and was told the hummers have left. frown I'll have to try again next year.

The bug on the hummingbird in the photo is a northern corn rootworm beetle. This time of year they're generally feeding on pollen and sometimes soft plant tissue like flower petals or silks on late pollinating corn or sweet corn. Most perish once the weather gives us a good hard freeze. They may cause a slight discomfort when they taste test your skin as one did to me the other night but they won't leave a welt like the mosquitoes have been doing lately. Think it's likely the hummer was pretty safe. Hummers still here in greater Bugtussle as of this morning. grin

P.S. - Great photo's, bug included.