• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting your turf ready for fall......

LwnmwnMan2

It's that time of year where you can do so much more for your turf than any other time of the year.

You should be putting down a couple of rounds of fertilizer, one now (soon anyways) and another mid-October.

Also, if you have any weeds, spray them soon. The weed plant is storing al the energy in the root structure, and will bring the most chemical to the roots, allowing the most effective kill.

If you need to dethatch or aerate, now is a good time as wel, as springtime has overly wet soils and sometimes more damage can be done.

Lasty, many people cut their grass quite short for the last time. Some reasons are to decrease snow mold, to keep thatch from building, or even so the leaves don't stay in their yard but blow to the neighbors.

We leave our grass at normal cutting height. When you leave your grass at normal cutting height, you reduce the stress as well as leave as much of the blade intact, allowing the most sunlight and energy to reach the roots, even throughout winter, or at least as soon as the snow is gone and the ground starts to warm.

Personally, I use the same, the thought process being that N is stored in the roots, being available for the plant in the spring.

It used to be you'd have a winterizer something along the lines 10-0-18. But now I see more and more products in the big box stores with a 24-0-10 (Vigoro at Home Depot).

It used to be you didn't want alot of N because thoughts were it promoted root growth.

Now more and more guys are going with a higher Nitrogen, getting the turf plenty of food, and then dealing with snow mold IF it happens to appear.

You will at least want something that's somewhat slow release right now, not something like straight Urea.

Is it ok to use a Menards Weed & Feed right now?

On the back of the bag it says May - July and then use regular fertilizer Aug - Sep.

I don't have much in the yard for broadleafs right now, but the reason I ask is I'd like to use up what I've got.

Thanks

Here were we dont have snow, my wife likes the nice green grass year round. So I did the same steps but spread rye grass seed and covered with scotts seeding soil. It has the starter fertilizer already in it. So hopefully the doves wont eat all the seed. Too bad can have an open season on dove in town, neighbors get p i ssy when i shoot them and they land in their back yards. oh well. Have a great winter season folks, I am wishing we got winter here.

Not to step on any toes here but personaly if you have a healthy lawn you dont need to fertilize. You will get plenty of nutrients from the snow and early spring rains. Fertilizer is exspensive why put it down if yo dont need to to.

I agree, that you don't need to "over" fertilize, which CAN happen, but unless you have a perfect pH in your yard, most likely you need to put down SOME fertilizer.