• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It fixed itself........

Not.

I know things don't fix themselves, and PFM has nothing to do with it.

Here's the kooky deal. Wednesday night I drove my rusty but trusty 89 chev pickup home. It was running fine. Thursday morning I jumped in to go to work, cranked it over, no start. I dumped a splash of gas down the carb and it popped right over and ran for a few seconds. This was like 5 in the morning and I didn't have time to mess around so I jumped in my car and went to work.

While at work I was thinking my fuel pump took a dump and I was reveling in the excitment of replacing it. Got home, turned the key, and it started right up. Shut it off, scratched my head and started it back up. Shut it off, got a beer, and started it back up. So on and so on and so on.

This morning, it started right up.

So, the question I have for those more in the know than I am is do these fuel pumps play a few games, work, don't work, work, don't work before they finally go for good?

I have a 2000 malibu that did that for about 3 monthes and it turned out to be the fuel pump. The last straw though was when I was cruisin' along and bam all the gauges lit up like I was going to start it. Of course I had to have about ten people bumper to bumper behind me. smirk

check the wires on the fuel pump. the wifes truck did this for a week before i figured it out. one of the ground wires were broke right at the yellow connecter that goes into the pump. sometimes it wound start and others it wouldnt.

Should be Throttle Body Injection (often mistaken for a carb) on it. Don't be suprised if you pull the tank down and need to replace a chunk of the wiring harness as well as the sending unit and lock ring that holds the pump in place. The fuel filter should still be checked again as the sock on the fuel pump may be deteriorated enough that the fitler is restricted by rust again.

Should be Throttle Body Injection (often mistaken for a carb) on it. Don't be suprised if you pull the tank down and need to replace a chunk of the wiring harness as well as the sending unit and lock ring that holds the pump in place. The fuel filter should still be checked again as the sock on the fuel pump may be deteriorated enough that the fitler is restricted by rust again.

Just curious. In either 88, or 89 you could get the truck with 4b-carb or TBI injection. I couldn't remember which year it was.