• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on taking a 10-11 year old hunting this fall?

tunrevir

I think the sooner you can get them out there the better as long as the conditions are right. You don't want them to just remember that hunting is cold wet and boring. Its probobly best to start them off on something whith a little more action like grouse hunting. Thats how I started. When I was about 5 or so my dad and grandpa let me start carrying the single shot 410 and I did'nt get a shell until we saw a bird but within a few years I graduated to a pump after gun safety. I think the biggest thing is to keep them entertained and constantly teach safety to them. I wish that I could have taken gun safety and deer hunted at 10. I think some kids are ready for it when they have grown up hunting like I did. With the lack of kids growing up hunting we need to keep our dying tradition in tact. I saw a bumper sticker recently that said " Kids that hunt and fish don't mug little old Ladies". Very true!

I have a little girl that will be 4 in Dec and when I come home from bow hunting we sit down and she playes 20 questions with me about how the hunt was that time out,the weather has not been the best to take a little one out for me this year but she askes every time I'm going and if she could come,kinda tugs at the heart a little to tell her no it's too cold but I want her first experiance to be a warm and fun one I don't care if we see anything I just want it to be fun. Now for shooting bow in the yard she is my little helper she holds the arrows and helps me pull them and everyday she asks me and mom when are we going to buy her very own little bow so she can shoot with mom and dad after I showed her the the pink camo bows bowtech is selling well her birth day is coming and I have her present pick out.

My initial thoughts, get them clothing they can be comfortable in!

But going off of other responses: If they want to go, take them! If you have concerns about their ability to be safe as hunters, that seems more like a condemnation of your own ability to be safe as kids that age are required to hunt with an adult. Its a hand holding situtation, and the kids only have as much autonomy as a hunter as the adult is willing to give them (i.e. control over when they can handle the firearm, how many bullets, when they can chamber a bullet, what animal they can shoot at, etc.).

I think its great to take kids out - if they want to be there. Make it comfortable and fun. Have lots of snacks, make it about the experience, and put them in a situation where they have the best opportunity to see deer and have fun.

"Make it comfortable and fun". If you are posed with the question whether or not to take your kid out, you may already be one step behind. All the kids in the post (regardless of age) has obviously shown interest, so it now should become a question of how to make it a great experience for them. Kids don't need to carry a gun, shoot a duck or a deer or even have a safety certificate to have a great time hunting with dad/grandpa etc. The age for firearms safety is 12 for good reason. Kids younger than that (in general) can't fully grasp the content. That doesn't mean they can't learn to "hunt". Parents and mentors need to fill the void before a child takes the safety class. If we wait to take kids until they are 12 or 13, it just may be too late. There are some proposed changes that will be occcuring early on in 2010 with Minnesota's youth hunting regulations. These changes will hopefully eliminate barriers that have historically held us back from taking kids out. In a nutshell, licenses will be basically free (for those under 18), there will be no difference between squirrels, ducks, turkey, deer etc. and the minimum age to hunt will be determined by the parent. It will unfortunately eliminate great discussion like this, but rightfully so, will allow you to take your children when they are ready, be it 5 or 15 years old. Of course their will be some restrictions regarding accompanyment but promoting that 1 on 1 relationship early on could quite possibly be the difference in these kids hunting in the future or not.

My four year old son has spent the last 2 years with me on opening duck hunting and is waiting till he can go deer hunting. remember not to force anything with the kids from just seeing game is good enough sometimes. Some might not be ready for the shot, kill, sight of a dead deer, or even the smell. If they are not ok at the kill site dont force it. Remember even some adults dont like the sight of a dead or dying deer.

Rost. The cat ate the wood duck story - I'm still laughing! That is funny stuff right there.

ArcherySniper. I endure the same tugs at the heart with my youngest son (Jacob). He's six now and wants to hunt in the worst way, but I'm confident his attention span, and desire would be gone in mere minutes afield - not to mention what inclement weather would do.

I did bring him out to pick up goose dekes in the field a few weeks back and he had a blast. I wish I'd brought a camera for the times he stood puzzling over how to carry more than two magnums at one time. He did manage to carry one in each hand while balancing one on his head for a few yards.

My oldest son (Peter-14) and I have been hunting together for several years now. He took his first doe during the youth season last year. I was beside him coaching and mentoring for every moment of the hunt, and we scored with only a few minutes left of the season. It was priceless. He's been alongside me for many years, and has hunted upland game and waterfowl with me, successfully, for the last 2 years. I let him decide when he was ready to pull the trigger. Like PapaBear said, things don't always go clean and pretty after the shot.

My oldest daughter (Lindsey-19) never took to hunting or fishing much. I took her out with me several times, but she's got other interests, and I don't push it.

My youngest daughter (Abigale-9) is now asking about Deer hunting. She has her own Bow, though it is only an inexpensive youth model. She is pretty tender hearted, so I'll be moving very slowly and gently with her. I know Abbey would second guess taking down a big game animal when the opportunity presented itself.

We'll probably start out with just a few short walks for grouse on well-groomed trails on warm, sunny afternoons - if we get any this fall! She's the real fisherman in the family. She spent many hours this summer down on the river behind our house catching fish with her little brother.

With the girls, the bathroom thing is always an issue, but they are country girls so they seem to manage. With the boys, well, they're boys. Out in the field they make a game out of the bathroom issue!

Yep. Four beautiful kids. The Lord is Good! My cup runneth over.

Sam, your daughter might surprise you in the end.

I have a 17yo nephew who moved in with us last March. City kid from a non-hunting family, loves animals, etc. He did take the gun safety course as part of an Outdoor Living class while attending 6th grade in Texas. He and his same-age cousin both took it, and all we heard about was how they could not wait to go hunting with my husband when they came to visit on their Christmas break. Well, after assuring us that they were serious about it we sprung for licenses for them, with only 3 days left in the season. They went out when there were a couple of feet of snow on the ground, temp was probably 10 degrees F, and the one who now lives with us lasted maybe an hour, lol. The other boy held out for most of the afternoon, but came back without having seen any birds. They were cold, tired, the snow was deep, the guns were heavy, etc, lol. We figured that was the last time they would ever hunt!

The next Christmas hubby took the more enthusiastic nephew to a game club and did some scratch hunting. They still ddn't get any birds, but they at least saw and heard some, and I think the kid had a good time. Unfortunately, his mother is not into having him hunt and we have never gotten him up here during deer season.

Now, 5 years later, the one who wasn't into it is living with us. He sees and hears a lot about hunting and has expressed an interest in deer hunting this season. I finally told him that he has to buy his own license, but that i will reimburse him for it if he gets a deer- just to be sure he is serious! In the meaetime, I have gotten my first hunting dog, and my nephew is crazy about him- the pup is also crazy about my nephew. The first week of pheasant season the nephew came out with us to take pictures. He had such a great time that he said he wanted to hunt, too. I sent him in to town to get his license and the next day he came with us, carrying a shotgun my husband loaned him. Darned if the kid didn't get a bird the very first day! I have never hit a bird and this is my 4th year hunting, lol. Now he is hooked and wants to hunt every day. Hubby's friend showed him how to clean his bird and he is confident that he can clean any others he might get, so we have been letting him hunt with my pup.

He can't wait till deer season and I think he is going to be okay. We eat mostly game anyway and he loves venison, so we'll see how he does when faced with the reality of a dead deer. Fortunately he is an excellent shooter- I got bb/pellet guns for him and his brother when they were 6 and 8 respectively, and this kid has always been the best shot with them.

Even though he is 17 we will start him out on a stand with an experienced hunter. Then we'll see when/if he is ready to sit on his own stand this year.

It's been exciting watching him as his interest in hunting develops, and I hope he will continue to enjoy it as he becomes an adult, in spite of his late start.