• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to shoot broadheads?

Is there anywhere in the metro I can shoot broadheads? I frequent the Burnsville and Bloomington ranges but both are field tips only.

If buying my own target and going to the country is the only option, are there any more cost effective targets than the $80-$100 little boxes I see at stores? Something 4'x4' like they have at the ranges would be nice. Or are there other commonly available materials I could use? What do you practice on?

TIA

I bring my own target to the range and shoot broadheads when I'm the only one there. I'll buck and pay the ticket if they catch me, but it's been 20 or so years and no problems yet.

On the target front...don't pay big bucks for something you are going to shoot broadheads at. Regardless of what the company says, the target won't hold up for long. I bought Cabelas MDL Broadhead target and it's done as well or better than the Block targets I've owned at 1/4 the price.

Where does it say you cannot shoot broadheads at Burnsville or Bloomington ranges?

I know they don't want you to shoot broadheads into there targets and ruin them. I bring my own target and shoot broadheads into that. I haven't seen any archery arrow tip cop to tell you any different!

The Rapids Archery Club has separate targets set up for Broadhead shooters. Consists of a bunch of old Sod laid down in layers. Broadheads get pretty dirty but it's effective in stopping your arrow. A bit of a drive for you on the south sie of the Cities though.

Where does it say you cannot shoot broadheads at Burnsville or Bloomington ranges?

I know they don't want you to shoot broadheads into there targets and ruin them. I bring my own target and shoot broadheads into that. I haven't seen any archery arrow tip cop to tell you any different!

I guess the sign doesn't say you can't shoot them. But there is a big sign at both places that says "Practice tips only. No broadheads"

I wonder if stacking a bunch of corrugated cardboard would work...

If you shoot you're broadhead into a packed hay bale you'll never get it out. If you really want to shoot broadheads on the cheap, by a big sheet of foam board insulation and cut it into squares. The pink stuff isn't the best as it sticks to the arrows, but the plain old white stuff works fine.

I have a deer target with a "replaceable" kill zone that's about 8 inches across...When I'm hunting I always have one of these repacement cores with me in my truck so if I feel the need to take a couple reassurment shots before I head out I have a 8 inch target to shoot at...The replacement cores are relatively cheap compared to buying a complete target and they work great...