• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a new shanty

Gissert

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, late summer slapped me upside the head and I have not had any time to do any more work. The more I looked at the skids, the more apprehensive I became. I really did not want to go with bigger, heavier skids either.

Today went a paid a visit to a local welding shop, and struck a deal for a crank down frame for 500 shims.

The tounge will run under one of the spearing holes, but it will still be plenty big enough to spear from.

elwood - We did some math on that, and it is gonna be real close to to the 8.5 foot mark. As the plans look now, it will be about 101 inches.

I wont be taking it on long trips, regardless. It just has to get down a mile or two of township roads.

Progress continues!! I have most of it sided and the roof is on. I went shopping for steel siding and got a little sticker shock at the name brand stores. Its been a while since I bought any siding. Then I remembered another local home store who had a big auction a while back in preparation for an upcoming move. They had what I wanted, at half the price of the other stores.

IMG_4737.jpg

I thought of scratch building a door, but the above mentioned building store had some pre-hung solid pine doors. I picked up a 30 incher for 50 bucks. Framed it in, and now I will prime it and cover it wil a good oil base paint. It will be nice to have a solid lock. The door frame is shown installed here. Glad I found one with solid wood jamb, I dont think the particle board ones would hold up.

IMG_4736.jpg

That is a swanky lookin' pad! Nice work. I like that you made it a multi-tasker with jiggin' holes and two spearing holes. That would be my ideal house. What are you planning as far as seating and storage? Pretty minimal to keep weight down? Folding chairs, etc?