• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

northshore streams

say_der

Does the DNR have a map of any of the streams around the North Shore that have trout? I can't find any on their HSOforum. I'm also wondering what streams around there are stocked.

Any info would be great. I have fished a part of the Knife River and I'm looking to try some new areas.

I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot, just places to find info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to the French River hatchery and grab a map. They have some informative booklets also...

Looking for stream trout you will find most rivers near Duluth up the shore are stocked with rainbows (Kamloops, steelhead) for the spring anadromous run. These smolts are hungry since the rivers are sterile. Use barbless and no bait since you must release in summertime near the lake - unless you happen upon a 16" clipped looper in summer, not likely. Likewise on a 20" brookie, which would be a shame to fry.

Read your regs and scan a map. For brookies go up the shore or to one of Duluth's stocked parks. I asked a DNR creel survey taker about brook trout and he replied "Nobody fishes for brook trout". Mind you it was HIS JOB to ASK ME what I was fishing for - he didn't.

[This message has been edited by tie flyer (edited 02-09-2004).]