• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April is Comming!

DARK30

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHATT,

In all most 25 years of wading streams I have only managed a 22 1/2 inch brown.
However quite a lot in the 18-20 inch range.

I know Rennenberg has had better luck than I.

Do I get to count all of the huge fish I've lost?LOL

Jim W

Last Spring a kid caught a 29 incher out of pretty small waters....worm and a hook!

The big bruisers tend to move up into smaller tribs/colder waters in the Spring. However, you can find them in bigger water as well.
But, the key places I look is around confluences of separate waters!

THey are in there, especially good, cold, clean and forage filled streams!

THat fish you caught on a fly-rod is very impressive.
HOw long of a fight might I ask?

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 02-18-2004).]

I faught him for about 15 min. In almost chest deep water and fast. I think I got a lucky net aroud him. I never had that good of luck as a kid, but I seen a kid do the same about a 5-lber, it was at the apple in star prarie(I think) he thought it was a carp, we told him to take it to his dad...

Bigger than 28, you must know the spots..The rivers that I fish have alot of pressure. Gonna try some new rivers this year for sure. Did you get a replica made? Or picture of that 28er? I almost mounted my 22, but did'nt. My pops has trout fished for 30+ years and all he has is a 19 mounted. So that 22er could have been the biggest of my life??

Jim's right the average angler will never catch a trout over 20 in Minnesota. If you catch a trout over 20 inches in Minnesota your a pretty good angler.

Jim it my shock you to know that some of the biggest trout I've seen have come from your part of the state, in fact; I got two stream down there that produces a 16 to 18 incher everytime I go fishing there. To bad I only fish it once or twice a year. frown.gif

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Browns in small streams can get as big as browns in big streams. But in order for them to get big in a small stream the stream has to have little to no fishing pressure and/or a good supply of creek chubs.

My biggest is 28 inches. She's still swimming.

Believe it or not but I've had bigger browns on, but lost them while fighting them or failed to hook them when they would bite the lure.

Jim I have a feeling that this year you'll catch that 24 incher. I have a good feeling that we're going to see a few 24 inchers this spring when we go to that river I was telling you about.

Man that river was hot last fall to bad you and Sarge weren't there.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

WhaTT! I personally love fishing with rapalas, but because they are very popular with anglers and it be opening weekend I'd say try soft plastics.

One opening weekend I used soft plastics and was able to catch trout in holes that had several anglers fishing it.

I remember one angler asking me what I was throwing. I told him soft plastics. He didn't say anything, but did give me a weird look then went back to fishing. After I released 2 very nice trout from the hole he'd been fishing for about a hour he came back over and asked me a few more question about what I was throwing.

So haaad, I'm not sure on the first river, but I know there are no hippo's swimming in that river.

I've never fished the lower Trade.

Jim I think you'll be a little suprised at one of the rivers. It's not known for producing bigger then average trout, but some areas of it do.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Whatt,

Yes, but it doesn't give exacts. Platt maps are nice. However, you can also get your hands on a free Land Easment map/guide from the DNR.

ALso Available at this years Trout Day!

If Renneberg catches a 28 incher, from here on out in my life time, in a SE MN stream,
I will wash and wax his car every Spring until I die!!LOL

Jim W

I used to live in Winona. I mainly flyfish now, but I used to throw panther martens from the bottomside or fan them around fishing from the top fishing the SE streams. I'd also throw on a leadhead jig, usually a white or motor oil colored twister (crayfish) and jig the top of a pool or around logjams/roots. Heavier line is sometimes needed to muscle out bigger fish from cover once they're on. And stealth is always key.

I like to throw rapalas, panther martens, mepps, and soft plastics. I've seen spin doctors spinners too but have yet to fish them. They look great too.

When I fish with a fly rod I love to fish with streamers...Big streamers. I love the tarpon flies I have. They look great in the water and bigger then average browns love them. I have two sizes of them. A 4 inch and a 7 inch.

They look just like these flies.

65685a-g.jpg

I'll bring those flies to Trout Day so everyone can see them first hand. And yes there is a trick to fishing them too.

One other thing I, Jim and Sarge do is wear a camo shirt. That help you blend into the bank. When you wear camo the trout will follow the lure almost to your feet and never realize your standing there.

Jim you may be wishing you'd never said that.

I do now the home of one brown in S.E. Minnesota that is all of 28 inches. I think I'm going to have to spend more time on that river. grin.gif

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 02-19-2004).]

Thanks for the insight guys. Generally I wear a green coat as that is a carry all coat for colder weather. That and I have a tan vest which covers most of me.

As far as baits, I generally throw raps. Just started with artificials last year so Raps were my beginning point. Then I picked up some of the Matzuo smaller pin minnow type baits. They are looking very HOT!!.

As far as "soft plastics" are you talking grubs on a jighead there Renneberg? And I know you aren't going to tell about your secret lure but are there other types you guys throw?

Also, I've read a bit that Trout love Salmon eggs, which I understand from Fishing the North shore a lot that the Loopers love them. But have any of you used a single egg rig in any of the streams you fish going for Brookies or Browns?

Thanks a lot.......Less than 2 Months til Opener.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 02-20-2004).]

Regarding cammo. I lost some nice trout last year when I wore my Blue windbreaker. I think the trout would have put more of the hook in his mouth. I will be definately be wearing a green color of some sort...

PS Where did you get those streamers, If I may ask?