• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TPLO Surgery

snatcher20

With no prior warning, about a month ago my 4 year old lab hopped off the couch and was limping on her back right leg. We did 3 weeks of limited activity with no improvement. She really comes up lame after limited activity then sitting for a while.

We did X-rays this week and they show something is wrong with the knee but are inconclusive to our vet. An orthopedic is going to give his opinion early next week. So it's not for sure her ACL, but just anticipating worse case.

Anyone gone through this with a lab or any larger breed for that matter? I've already been through TPO for the hips so I'm familiar with surgery in general and the recovery. We've been doing some reading up and it seems it's somewhat common to do one leg, then the other goes out a short time later. Can anyone share their experiences?

Unfortunately if it is TPLO, there goes this hunting season and another $2-4K.

As I said before, I have no clue how she hurt her knee as she just came up limping one evening. Not sure if heriditary or she tweeked it somehow. Please withhold from commenting if you are going to bring up breeding or certifications. The situation is what it is and I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks.

I have a 90 lb male Golden Retriever and he tore his ACL the fall of 07 while we were hunting Pheasants . Like you stated , he came up lame and after a couple months of doctoring I was refered to a Vet in Faribault , Dr Katie . She checked him over and knew right away even without an X-ray what it was. She explained the procedure to me and I went with it. $2400 later , and a lenghty rehab he is good as new . She stated that in over half of the situations the dog will tear the other within a year. Max has not done that yet , hoping he won't , and it was performed june of 08.She also told me that it Can happen to Any dog , larger breeds more likely cause of the weight.Good luck with your decision.

Our dog Layla had the surgery done about a month ago. She is a four year old 80 pound lab. So far so good, Tough part is keeping the dog inactive, and from pulling at the stiches. She had to wear a cone, and took some seditives for a couple weeks. They will tell you no steps, running or jumping for a month. Solved the step problem by buying a dog pickup ramp. The running and jumping part was tougher, they always want to chase something. Best I can tell you is have a lot of patiance and say a few prayers, can't hurt. Good luck.

sound like torn ACL my lab had the same thing sergry was expensive but he pulled through it fine it did slow his swiming speed down and when he got olded he appered to have athritus in that knee but not bad hope it workes out for ya.

We got results from the surgeon today. He thought there was a partial tear in both knees. However he is recommending 2 months of complete restrictive activity. His thought is the body will build up enough tissue to support the knees.

Has anyone done complete rest and seen an improvement? Basically she can have short leashed walks, but limited stairs, jumping on the bed, ect...

We are going to give the rest a try. Regardless of doing surgery now, or in 2 months, she will miss the hunting season. Now there is an outside chance she'll be good for this season. So we'll try to avoid the surgery and expense and see if this works. Even if we do the surgery in Sept., she should be good to go by spring.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I had the surgery done on my 4 year old 70lb lab in March, I noticed knots appearing on the knee from the surgery and she is yet to have full use of it. Unfortunately, she just tore the other knee last Sunday. I am looking for a pup to replace her. Good to hear others had success, I will never have the surgery done again.

Snatcher, I'm going to save you a bunch of money right here and now by telling you to call Mesaba animal hospital, Hibbing MN. They do 3-4 a week and most of them come from the recommendation of the U of M.

We were up north this past weekend. Had to take my 5 month old in to have his anal glands squeezed. While I was there a dog came out that had just had the cruciate surgery. A conversation ensued with the front desk person and great information was gathered. For a 1/3 of the price with equal to or greater results.

GOOD LUCK!!!