• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your favorite/go to stream trout lures?

bmc

Just wondering what everyone's favorite/go to stream trout lures are for iceing them stream trout. I would have to say mine is the smallest swedish pimple, silver w/ chartruse or pearl tape and a waxworm. I used to do the bobber thing, but have had better luck jigging 'em here around the Grand Rapids area.

Brian

hey bmc, i fish stream trout up north as well, iron range area. i've had really good luck with the mepps line of single hook spinners, esp. the spin flies, wooly worms, and the thunderbug. tip 'em with a waxworm as well, or mini-marshmallow, corn. i've also had luck with the rebel cricket, the smallest one they make, wiggles like crazy though it has two small treble hooks and i've lost about a million of those things to bushes and trees.

Hey jim, Its almost time for a smart fire...... "Sneak n cast" I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Somehow I can't vision stream trout through the ice. "Put n take" rainbows yes, but not true stream trout.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

My favorite spinner would have to be the 1/6oz white rooster tail and the # 9 black and silver Original Floating Rapala!
Go too small and you "might" just catch small!lol

Woops, re-read and noticed this was for ice fishing! Mostly chrome spoons or flashy spoons from a variety of brands tipped with a minnow head! Size to me will relate to the aggressive levels of the trout!
Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 01-31-2003).]

tj:

usually fish the dark river between dark/sturgeon lakes, which technically is britt, mn, 'bout midway between virginia and cook, mn. farther north/downstream you go on the river (towards sturgeon), the better the fish is what i've been told, tho i usually hit the easier accessible spots. very small trout, usually, but when they're biting it's nuts, lotsa fun on those windy days when i can't take the boat out on the lake, lol.

tj:

i fish the dark river, which runs from dark lake to sturgeon lake in britt, mn (apprx. midway between virginia and cook). i hit a couple easy access spots on the stream when it is too windy to be out on my lake in the boat, though i've been told that the farther downstream/north you go, toward sturgeon, the better the fish (rumor has it big german browns). course, access harder there.

i have seldom caught anything sizable, usually they're very small, but plentiful and fun, esp. later in the season (lots of deer, grouse and turkeys out in the woods too). if you want more info, email me at [email protected] and we can trade iron range fishing holes, tho i'm not giving up my secret spot on the stream, lol.

(this is second time i've posted to you, hope it shows up this time)

fishinchick,
i have lived in the dark river area my whole life and my great grandfathers homestead is on the river. my family owns both of the only 2 private spots on the river. including the place on the snowmobile trail where you probably fish from the hiking trail. i was just wondering where you saw turkeys up there. im my 29 years the only turkeys i have seen up here were the ones from the cities who come up to fish trout!

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work

This is way off the subject, but am wondering if any of you ever knew a Dr. Wheeler that lived on a lake in the Britt area? If so I'd be interested in emailing you. Sounds like more than one poster on this thread has lived in the area for awhile and I've been trying to reconnect with someone in his family for some time.

uffdapete,
i have lived in the area my whole life. i know most of the longtime locals in the area... if i dont my family does. if you want to send me an email ill be happy to try and help you out. [email protected]

tony

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work