• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Manitou Lake Fishing Reports by Camp Manitou

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4/25/10

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted everyone to know that we are going to try to report weekly on the fantastic fishing that we have on Lower Manitou Lake, just like we did last year.

A group of friends came up for 1 night on friday and they were running down riggers with them set at 35' over 60-90fow most of saturday. The hot bait on their down riggers was a small rainbow trout colored needlefish. They caught 23 fish and all but 5 were on the needle fish. We have another group in right now that is checking out this afternoon, I will update a report from them once I get one.

The best thing about this unusual spring is that the trout fishing has been very good and should only get better, the spring fishing is usually the best 7-10 days after ice out, but this spring the trout havn't even come up yet. They are still deep, but slowly coming up. The groups coming the next couple of weekends should be in for some great trout action.

Check back for frequent updates.

Have a great fishing season!

4/27/10

The guys that left late sunday said, Saturday was really good, just trolling the Mepps #5 with about 1 oz of weight about 4' in front of it. Shore fishing was ok. Sunday everything shut off for them, they were trying different spots from what they fished on saturday and it didn't produce. It sounds like a few in the group are going to come back up this weekend, so i will report when they they are done.

Hey Matt or Superbee, as Similar asked - do you know the water temp?

Since smallie fishing is open year around - have you guys been snooping around in any shallow areas yet? any smallies starting to stage?

How do you think the early Spring is going to effect fishing in early June?

will all the smallies be done - and moved deep - or do they stick around for awhile until the water temps get even warmer? How about Northerns? Would an early Spring help or hurt the Northerns in early June?

I think Similar will hit things perfectly in his late May trip! I am very jealous !!

Hi Mark,

I havn't check the water temps in a while now. I think you are right, Craig is going to hit it dead on for the smallies. The post spawn topwater bit is always good and that will be something to look for in early June this year. It usually happens in late june/early july, but due to the early spring we should see it about 3-4 weeks early.

The only thing people are fishing right now staying with us are lakers, to my knowledge no one has even thought about going to look for pike or smallies.

Looks like the trout have started to move up. One group that we had at our outpost limited out and had a few extra to throw back just dead bait rigging with ciscoes from the shore in front of the cabin. Another groups of two have boated 20+ trout trolling and the hot bait seems to be blue/chrome husky jerk. They are trolling breaklines around 25-35 feet.

my dad and i were up at Camp Manitou on the 1st-4th. we caught around 20 lakers. most of the fish were up in 20-35fow...with a couple coming suspended over 50-80fow. we used spoons, mepps spinners, and stick baits. gold, silver, and blue were all good colors. we put a 1oz egg sinker infront of a 6ft leader. trolled between 1.3mph-2.8mph. water temps were anywhere from 42-49. it was a great time. matt is a great guy and takes good care of his customers.

thanks again matt. see you next time.

similarisland,

you know about the pink flamingos?

Yep, I think Charlie that stays at Camp Manitou puts those out every year. My friend's island, Similar Island, founded in 1952, has had them on their island for as long as I can remember. I actually put the one back in "Flamingo Cove" the year before last. I didn't know that Charlie was the one that usually put them out until last year when I stayed at Camp Manitou and met Charlie and his wife.

5/7/10

Hey Mark,

Nice pictures and it was very nice to meet you and your dad, hopefully we will see you guys next spring.

Last night we went into south bay and made a few passes past similar island. We picked up 4 in about an hr., we needed 2 for dinner so it worked out great. We caught them on a simple mepps #5 in silver, with a 4' leed to a barrel sinker. The fish were in about 20' over 30'fow.