• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital cameras

rmh2o

Question

I would like to get a digital camera and would like some advice.I would like to spend under $100 if possible but would spend more if it was worth it.I searched the web already and only found 10 million makes and models, now I am confused.

18 answers to this question

You're not going to like the cameras that cost under $100, you can get a decent one for $175 to $200. Look around and do some research and spend the most you possibly can, there are some very neat cameras out there.
I have a Cannon that cost me a little over $300 and I am very happy with it.

I agree it is hard to find something good for less than $100. However, my daughter gave her 5 year old (that loves to take pictures) a $40.00 dollar one. This is much cheaper to let him take all the pictures he wants and not pay for the film and processing. He actually gets some pretty good pictures.

I have a HP 315 which I really like. It takes great pictures and the software that comes with it is very easy to use. You need to decide what you want to use it for and remember you also have to have a photo printer in order to print your own pictures.

Good luck!

------------------
Phyl

You can buy a decent camera from around $ 100 to $ 180. I use mine for work and I paid $ 125, it's a Fuji 2300. Few important things:
1 Needs to be at least 2 Megapixels.
2 Has to have LCD display on back.
3 Removable memory card (that's where it stores pictures, the more MB the better).
4 Zoom
5 USB connector for computer (don't buy it if it has serial connector).

Brands are more or less important, try to stay with a known one.
Start this way, then in future you can always get your money back when you sell it and buy a fancier one when you'll be more expert and want more features.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 11-20-2002).]

I've got a sony handycam. Can download fishin videos right onto the computer. Make movies and then go back and snap pics out of the movies or woth the camera. Has memory stick tech. also. Even night vision. Just learning and it's a blast!

I was thinking about a digital camcorder but didn’t know if I could clip still shots? If that is the case that I can clip stills then a few extra $$$$$ would be worth it. I think you get a better zoom also? The digital cameras I’ve used it seems like you have to be so darn close. frown.gif The digital camcorders have really dropped in price smile.gif and what I’ve read they have added new features?
My .02 worth?
“FISH” grin.gif
Any thoughts on which is the best digital camcorder that they have used? confused.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

Does a person have to have a digital camera to put pictures on the web or is it just more convienient and better quality.I have a scanner but I am not sure how or if it is possible to scan pics and post them.
thanks for the replies

Yup-perz!! Get the best one you can afford.
Digi-cam pros -
Editing the images, storing the images, e-mailing and pasting the images, instantly reviewing the images.
Cons -
If it's traditional quality prints you're after - it's tough, and you have to shop around for good output services.
I take mine fishing, but I keep it in a ziploc, and shoot through the bag.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

I am primarily looking for a camera that i can post pictures on the web with if I want to sell something because the first question asked is do you have a picture.I would also like to use it for general use like in the boat and outdoors so i am not sure an expensive one would be a good idea.

Last year, day after Thanksgiving, Sears had a clearance HP model for 99.00. It works really well and takes very good pictures.
I would recommend getting at least a 64 MB card in it.
The only draw back to a cheaper camera is that the batteries in them do not last near as long, unless its just me.
The more you run the display on the back the faster the batteries will drain.
I have mine set to show the picture I just took on the display for 10 seconds, then store it to the memory card. Saves keeping pictures that suck and keeps the battery from draining.
I think for what you wanted to use it for, a cheaper camera would be fine. Stick with a top brand- HP, Kodak, and some of the others mentioned here.
All the ones you buy today come with USB cables, as far as I know.

This is one of the hardest computer related pieces there are to buy.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 11-20-2002).]

Rmh2o,
Well, I neglected mentioning the make and model, 'cause it's a really pricey rig that we got for Christmas a couple of years ago. I use it more than my wife, who's pretty much blown it off 'cause it doesn't produce great print quality. It's a Toshiba PDR-M4. The software that comes with it, though, is called ImageExpert, and it's GREAT!!! I'm sure that software comes with the cheaper Toshibas, too.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Checkout http://www.epinions.com for reviews of digital cameras. I believe the web site also you to run a query based on price.

I am thinking of purchasing a Canon A40 in the near future. The A40 costs about 250 bones (so it is a little higher than your price range of 100 bones). Every report I have read about this camera says it has the features of the big boys.

Shop around; often times sellers will include various extras such as an upgraded memory card, cables, protective case...

Marmot

Does anyone take their cards into WalMart or any photo place and have the pictures developed there? What's the quality like? How much do they charge? Trying to avoid the whole printer thing....or is that the way to go?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Most printers don't do very well, if you're looking for analog-quality prints. My wife used an outfit called shutterfly.com to e-mail jpgs to, and they mailed back fairly nice prints.

But remember - DIGITAL IS NOT ANALOG!!!! smile.gif
Just like the truest sound recordings are vinyl masters, the best best quality photos are still taken the old-fashioned way. Just like CD's and MP3s VS. Vinyl, the digital advantage is in edit, handling and output convenience.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC