Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

Best one-man fish house

16 posts in this topic

Im looking for suggestions on a 1 man portable fish house to buy. A sled type is preffered but a fold up would do just fine.

I like frabill's xlt twin. Put together very well, durable sled, and the best fabric I have seen on a fish house. I would just buy a 1 man frabill but the do not use the Artic-Armor material on the 1 man houses.

So, if you have any suggestions, im open to hear them.

I have the Frabil XLTwin and use it alone a lot.. I feel to cramped in the 1 man houses... I like the extra room.

I would say go out a sit in a few of the 1 mans and see if they feel big enough... I am 6-3 which might be part of my problem.

Slick,
I doubt sincerely that there is a best one man for all preferences. They all have something a little differant to accommodate differant people and what the need/want.

For those who want to spend 300 bucks I'd say the Otter Den is a good choice. The Fishtrap was one of the first and good quality. We also should acknowledge that HT, Polar, Frabill, and Eskimo all make nice units as well.

For those who want to stay in the 200 dollar range and stay very light and mobile I recommend the Glacier II.

If you're really on a budget, get into the For Sale/Wanted forum and find yourself a deal. From all your fish house questions slick, I suspect that's where you are at?

I have a one-man HT polar and I love it. It was cheap too, only about $115. Strong durable fabric and it was easy to assemble. Can't wait to use it again this year.

I have a Fish Trap II and haven't had any complaints. More then enough room for one person and great for two people as well. Very portable and made from pretty quality materials. I've had mine for five years and its still works like new.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I have a fishtrap pro it is the same size sled as the scout only they turned it around and it is wider and longer.. this year they have the new ones and the canvas is much better than mine it is all black in side... it has a door so you don't have to flip up all the time...
this my second flip style house and for portability and easy fo setup it really is my cats meow grin.gif

------------------
Dwight Skillings
dlskills@wecnet.com

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-25-2002).]

I have Shappel Rover. It's light, has a heavy black cloth, tinted windows, heavy duty tub,easy to pull, easy to assyemble. Draw backs? If you are a "big" man it may be to small. But the price is low. I got mine from Cabelas

I would say that you would not go wrong with an Otter Den, best sled; enough room for one person and all his/her gear, sturdy frame, sturdy canvas cover, A real nice unit!

I bought a fishtrap about 7 years ago-- heavy duty tub with high sides and back and a nice little shelf in back. Seems since Clam took them over, they cheapened them. Probably would'nt buy another. I do like the looks of the Otters-- very heavy duty sled and good canvas, but they do cost $$. They sell everything ala-carte-- sled,canvas and pole setup, seat, etc... Flip overs are definitly the way to go though. I also have a 4x6 suitcase style, my first, that can fit two people, but I tend not to move it that much and mobility is the key. You should be able to check them all out in 1 stop at the ice show.

rascal

I've had my Otter three years now and I can't see fishing from anything else!
Look at all of the other portables first, then look at the Otter, I have the medium, two guys fish comfortably....
my .02 Dave.... ( would someone please push some cold air this way I'd like to go ICE FISHING )

A few years back I got a Sportsmax Flip & Fish for less than $100. This thing weighs like under 20 lbs, not the super heavy duty fabric or anything, just very portable and storable.

Hey RascalP is yours the magnum deluxe? I own one too but wonder why they quit making those type. 2 holes gets a little crowded but I really do like to be able to stand up without hitting my head. I'd like to see these newer houses with a little more head room.

slick,

I have the Twin and the Solo. The fabric on the solo isn't the artic armor, but it is nice. I really don't think there's much of a difference.

Mike

LipRIP
No it's probably not a mag deluxe cause I can't stand up in it. As far as I know, it's a 2nd generation Dave Genz Fishtrap--1 man( although I had my 4 year old girl in it a few times last year). I can fish 2 holes if I slide the seat back and keep my feet inside the tub, but I usually punch a whole lot of single holes and keep movin. If things are tough, I may try 2 holes-- deadstick one and jig the other, but I gotta see fish that arn't bitin before I do that.

That's why I like some of the bigger flipovers like the otters-- big enough to stand up but small enough to heat easy with a lantern or small sunflower and MOVE EASY. The D zipper doors are nice too so you don't have to lift the whole thing if you're on a nice spot and you have the flaps packed down.

We have the Otter lodge which is roomy enough for two people but easy enough for one person to handle. There is a company in Anoka that used to make the houses for Otter and have an insulated house (thinsulate in between canvas, black on the outside white on the inside and thinsulate in between). We have an 8x8 portable with this insulation and it's sweet!!

----------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

Slick, if you can wait until the Ice show in St. Paul, I would recommend buying one there. I went there with a friend who was in the market for a portable and we were able to compare all the different styles. Also, with all the competition under one roof, you'll find that some of these guy's will bargain. He upgraded the thickness of his canvas for no additional cost, which was about a $30.00 upgrade.