Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

Spring in Bog country

11 posts in this topic

I haven't been to the Sax Bog for awhile so figured a few hours down in that area would be fun this long weekend....Here's a few images of the morning....nothing spectacular but nice to be out in the spring sun and see the various creatures...A good morning grin

a great sky to start the day!

P1070836-2.JPG

a couple sandhill cranes that must have just arrived in this frosty field and were screaming with their raucous cry echoing in the still morning...these guys are loud!

P1070839-1.JPG

sandy2.JPG

sandy9.JPG

The sharpies were out in various fields also...some on Arkola Road......The most(6)were out in the fields on county road 29 near the Watsula /Racek road area north of Meadowlands...no "dancing" and were just feeding as I was there...

These 2 were sitting about 40' up an old popple tree just off of the Kolu Road near the South Admiral area

sharptail7.JPG

and various white-tails throughout the area...

P1070856-2.JPG

Spotted!

P1070845-6.JPG

a "not so great" image of a northern shrike....saw 4 different shrikes totaled....This one was on the Correction- Line Road area...

DSCN5540-1.JPG

It sure does look like a good morning jonny! Great series! By the way, I like the new avatar jonny "redhorse"!

Thanks Ken!...Gotta love those redhorse! grin....an anual spring thing for me....been going after these guys for 40 years each spring!....Forbes Dam (St.Louis River) ....They'll be in there shortly...used to smoke em but now just catch em "to feel the fight" and release em.... grin

I would make a raucous cry, too, if I had to walk across a frosty field in bare feet. Is that really where the 'redhorse' comes from? I do have to say though, that I always wanted to see the full size of your old avatar that had an old building or something in the background. It always reminded me of an impressionist painting when I saw it. That sunrise! We haven't had a jonny redhorse sunrise for a while. That will always be the picture I have in my head of the bog, especially some of those misty ones.

Birdsong....yes the "redhorse" is a form of a sucker(many types of course)...and this particular species is the "shorthead redhorse" variety...colorful, fast swimmimg species...comes up the rivers/creeks each spring to spawn ....fun to catch for sure!.....here's that image I think you were refering to....one of my favorites also!

P1050670-2copy.jpg

Very nice pics Jonny. I made a quick trip thru the bog this morning but I was a little late to see anything good.

Thank you so much for posting the image for me. That is exactly the one. Beautiful!!!!

That is one great image. I'm pretty new to this site but that picture and the one that Catmando does with his skeleton ship simply amazes me. Thank you very much.

Okay, those Sandhill cranes get me very excited to get back in the bog! Great images.

I like the eye contact on the sandhill in the thid picture!

I saw 8 sharpis on he Arkola lek on Friday. They were out eating things and messing around in the field but no dancing.