• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

T-ing into gas line from boat for kicker

Wade Joseph

I have a new 4 stroke kicker for my boat, since my main outboard is oil injected, how difficult is it to T into the gas line of the primary outboard so the kicker can feed off of the main boat tank?

My main outboard is a 2001 Ficht 75 if it matters. Has anyone done this? Any problems?

There was a lot of talk on this subject a few years ago. Some said it wont work others said it was OK. I run a 150 and a 8 the dealer just put in a simple tee after the shut off switch and it's been just fine for three years. I have at times even run both motors at the same time without any trouble.

The best way to go is to have 2 feeds directly from your fuel tank, with a separate line and primer bulb for each motor.

If that's not a good option for you, the next best is to T the fuel line and between the T and each motor to have a primer bulb with a check valve in it.

I've also seen them rigged with a shut-off switch on each line for each motor, but that seems like overkill and not needed.

I've also seen them rigged with a shut-off switch on each line for each motor, but that seems like overkill and not needed.

This is how I have mine rigged with the 3 way selector switch. If you just run the brass T, there is a possibility of sucking air through the line that is not being used, should the primer ball check valve fail. Just a thought. I did however, use the brass T first and worked fine, but changed over to the valve just in case. Junky..........

If you just run the brass T, there is a possibility of sucking air through the line that is not being used, should the primer ball check valve fail.

This is exactly why some places run t's with valves and other places run no t's... it all depends on your main motor.

marine_man