• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lights under copper plumbing?

walleye-

I'm in the process finishing my basement and wiring it. I put a few can lights directly below some copper lines and now I am starting to wonder if that is a code violation? Any awnsers to this ? would be great. thx

I'm not worried about plumbing codes I was wondering about electrical code. Yes they fit fine I boxed in the duct work and the pluming ran next to the duct on the joists so I just boxed them into it also. So I have 10" from ceiling to plumbing lines.

As a plumber I know very little electrical code but I run copper by can lights all the time the only time I can think of I run into problems is when you run over pannels breaker boxes or by disconnects I would not worry about a light.

thanks for the replys I will leave them there and let the inspector have the final say. I just thought that it might not be a good idea just incase of a leak. I don't have any under the fittings so I should be fine. I would hate to have to call the inspector out twice due to a stupid mistake that I wasn't sure of.

While on the subject of electrical, I have a question for those of you are intimately familiar with the current code. I have fallen out of touch since its been a while since I did any significant electrical work.

I have heard that there is a new device allowed for splicing wires that does not require a j-box. Is that true, or was the guy that told me this full of it? Any refernce to the code dealing with this would be great.

Thanks!

(Walleye - sorry to hijack your post, but is seems that the right folks were watching this, so I figured I would ask)

The product is definately out there. I've seen it Mn Elect. in Alex. The only place I've ever seen out in the field was in a mobile home. I personally would'nt use it in my dog house. Not sure of the Manufacturer or any code pertaining to it. It seems to me any splice that could be concealed is just poor workmanship.

Walleye - a leak may not be the biggest issue - what about condensation and then dripping, especially if it's in a basement and it's cold water. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

If you have that much condensation, you better not be finishing it because it will rot and be full of mold.

Thanks guys, that was my thought as well. Maybe I am just old school, but a box seems like the only reasonable place for a splice, in my humble opinion.

Regarding the condensation, if its a cold water pipe, just make sure to insulate it that will solve 99% of tthose problems. If its in part of the house that isnt humidity controlled it will sweat a lot...

If it's in a finished space, it shouldn't be a problem with sweating.Such as a joist space that is completely enclosed. No air will circulate around it, giving it the chance to sweat.

As far as the splicing, I'm not exactly sure if I know what's being talked about here but on some two story prefab homes I worked on, there was some sort of connector that allowed the home to be wired and shipped in a couple of pieces. When they were set in place, the elctrician pretty much just plugged them together. Probably more to it than what I'm describing but the general contractor claimed this passed Minnesota code. This was about six years ago so maybe things have changed.

The product is definately out there. I've seen it Mn Elect. in Alex. The only place I've ever seen out in the field was in a mobile home. I personally would'nt use it in my dog house. Not sure of the Manufacturer or any code pertaining to it. It seems to me any splice that could be concealed is just poor workmanship.

The product may be out there but that dosen't mean it's legal to use. If you saw one in a manufactured home I'd really like to know where it was made and if it had passed a MN state inspection. I to wouldn't do it in my dog house.

I couldn't find it but I'm pretty sure that theres a code article that states something to the effect of "all splices must me made in an approved housing". Direct bury splices would be the exception.