Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick

The Official Bears Off-Season Thread

38 posts in this topic

Stealing a page from FG:

This thread is for ideas on what moves the bears should make or have made in the off-season...re-signings, new coaching, trades, free agency, ect...it will change throughout the offseason as moves are made.

of course that all depends on who the Bears draft,trade,and sign.

discuss

It will be interesting to see how Cutler responds in Chicago. They also picked up Pace. If he can stay healthy, he'll help out their offense a ton. The Bears could be a surprise this year, especially if they pick up a free agent wide receiver or two.

I believe they were 8-8 or 9-7 last year with Orton. IMO they just became the favorites in the division now with Cutler. The Bears just somehow always find a way to win a game.

I would have to agree with Zep, I think they have to be the favorite pick in this fairly weak division. The thing that Queen and Pack fans are failing to realize is that everything starts with the QB, you can always pick up WR's in the draft, trade or free agency. The fact that they locked up this 25 year old pro bowl caliber qb speaks volumes as to their committment. I think that Forte will really help in reducing the amount of passes Cutler has to make and will help take some of the pressure off the O Line, Pace signing helps too. All in all a pretty good move that has me reignited about the Bears. I was never a huge Orton fan, he is just so mellow and his arm is not that strong. He just did not seem to be a game breaker or a play maker in my book, he was a safe choice, Cutler is not but the upside can be huge. Only time will tell.

Windy---If you look at the # of posts regarding our q-back situation here in Minnesota you will see at least the fans know we have a problem here. Cutler was a nice pick-up for the Bears. Congrats. Pace will end up being a bust...he's worn out and too slow to keep up with the Allen's of the league anymore.

I like the deal.Young pro bowl QB with a strong arm and some mobility.Pace 7 time pro veteran(agreed needs to stay healthy).Also signed free agents Omiyale and Shaffer.Cutler may get Bennett on track also. More offense on the field would mean a more rested defense.W.R? Torry Holt (Rams) is a free agent but Titans were talking with him.ttg

The Bears are certainly not the Favorite in the Division. But this is the NFL and they could win it just as they could have won with Orton and their 2 High Drafts they are losing in this draft.

I thinks its safe to say Cutler won't be playing in the Pro Bowl this year.

The Bears gave up a lot to get Cutler. Two firsts, a third and Orton who really isn't half bad, especially with Sheffler and if he gets that long ball down with Marshall and Royal in Denver.

Chicago fans have got to be hoping this doesn't work out to be a Herschel Walker type deal.

I as a Vikings fan would have loved to see Cutler with us but not for what I heard they were asking. sigh....

I liked Orton,but as stated above I never got the feeling of winning confidence that I get with Cutler behind center.The draft picks that we gave up will be a little tough to lose but with free agency being what it is these days,even Vikes fans know you can build a good team with that.Even if you get a good QB through the draft,you never know if he will turn out to be good in the nfl.

I dont care who the bears put back there,nobody can do anything when there flat on there back!It all starts with the line. Lets face it the bears need alot better o line.

Pier,

First of all who is the favorite in the division? I hope you don't say something stupid like the Queens! That would be Hi Larious. Second, everybody talking about how much they "gave up" I say again, look at the last 20 years of Bears first round draft choices and tell me who is/was a true impact player like Cutler looks to be. A bird in the hand has to be worth two in the bush, and I don't mean Reggie! LOL

I agree with Croixeyes and Windy's bird in the hand.These deals don't come around that often and now there won't be any QB drama(I hated that). Seems like the confidence level is already up and should help with future signings(everbody wants to be on a winning team). The Walker thing? Your right, Hope not! But I really don't see it.I'll give Cutler time, if he needs it.Seems like the Vikings really had/ have their money on T. Jack and team so I don't know how hard they went after Cutler. But the Vikings problem now could be that the Bears got him. Orton,Sheffler,Marshall,Royal? How much of being a good reciever is having a good QB throwing to you? ttg

Pier,

First of all who is the favorite in the division? I hope you don't say something stupid like the Queens!

So you think the Vegas odds makers and Gambling prognosticators are STUPID?.... grin

Current odds to win the Superbowl.

Vikes 16-1

Pack 24-1

Bears 25-1

Lions 100-1

That being said this is the NFL and any team in the division could win it. Probably not Detroit but any of the others could easily do it.

Not at all Pier, they love to take your money! Let's see what the odds are a little closer to the season, like maybe after Cutler has put on the Orange and Blue maybe!

with what the bears gave up to get Cutler, they are planning on winning in the near future. They must draft well with what they have,, and if so, they will be scary. If not, it's back to 3-13,, 4-12.

too many holes to fill in 2 years without the bang of the draft picks. Right now.. it's 60/40 in favor of the bears-- but every game they don't win, that trade gets worse.

Hey windy ill tell ya whats stupid somebody quoting hawk harrelson!Why dont you thick tongues create your own state and stop embarrising the rest of us in illinois !Go with youre last govenor you guys put in office

Ah Troll,

Another virgin heard from! I see this is your lucky 13th post, congratulations. And which governor are you reffering? I voted for one of them did not for the other. Let me guess, you are a huge Cubbie fan, right? And by the way, Einstein, you should always capitolize a state, you could also capitolize a proper name like Hawk Harrelson. You best stay in the shallow end of the pool, junior, you are in way over your head!

Another virgin? Funny at my age I sure feel like anything but a virgin. Wonder how many smilie face post you have to make before that label goes away? Well back to Bears kids. On the ? of to much for cutler? Read a article in pro football weekly that in short form goes like this. Add up all the pick #s the Bears gave the Ponies, subtract the one they got. Total comes close to 1600 that = a #6 pick. So the Bears gave up a #6 pick and Orton for Cutler. The #6 QB pick in 2008 signed for 40 mil. up to 50 mil. without taking one snap in the NFL. I'm sure these aren't concrete #s and teams have other criteria ( article says ).Probably the only way to tell is down the road. ttg

Why dont you thick tongues create your own state and stop embarrising the rest of us in illinois !Go with youre last govenor you guys put in office

I think it's funny reading how the Illinois outstater's criticize the city folk. I thought MN was the only one's to do that. I'll take 612'er or citiot over a thick tongue any day.

As for da Bears, I think they'll do well offensively. They're defense really let them down last year. Not having followed anything about their offseason, they need to improve last season's defense before they can make a serious leap.

Zepman,

You have to whack a puppy on the nose with the rolled up newspaper when they tinkle on your carpet, teaches them a lesson! LOL

TTG I am not sure what you are really saying with your post but I would love for you to look up the Bears last 20 first rounders and see where they rank. I'm not questioning your logic, it seems sound but what I am saying is that the Bears have never been a team to improve from the draft, early rounds, that is. They seem to harvest their best talent from the later rounds so I don't fret so much at trading two birds in the bush for one in the hand, especially with what Cutler has proven he can do. Bears should improve their receiving corps thru the draft, in the later rounds and there may be some free agents that they take a peek at. We have the main ingredient now, just need to add the side dishes.

Notice that I was very civil with TTG and he is a newbie! LOL

Notice that I was very civil with TTG and he is a newbie! LOL

Must be that Minnesota- Chicago nice!!! grin

LOL. Thank you Windy, I hate that newspaper on the nose thing, makes my eyes water.

The purpose of my post was for the folks that thought the Bears gave up to much for Cutler. It was just a different way to look at the trade.I was of the opinion that the Bears didn't seem to do well in the early rounds, but I took your advice and looked it up. Thanks. By the way not a cub fan.

Beer Batter,Bears have made changes to the coaching staff.

Coach Smith will be making some play calls,Babich LB's,brought in Hoke- Backs, Marinelli asst. head coach- defensive line. ttg

TTG, I think I'm gonna like you man! You will find that we are all, for the most part, just a bunch of big ole goofs in here who are passionate about sports and like dishing as much as we like getting the business. I have told this story a million times in here but I will share it with you. I was born in 59 and when I was 10 I had two best friends, one was a Pale Hose lover like myself and the other was a Cubbie Kool Aid drinker. My beloved Pale Hose were absolutely horrible that year and almost lost 100 games, I think they finished with 99 losses. Anyway, our Cubbie loving friend gave us the hugest load of grief for about six months as his Cubbies sailed threw the National League on their way to the pennant for sure and possibly the World Series.......Then the Mets hit them like a freight train! And my Sox buddy and me gave him back everything he dished to us and a little more as we relished each Cubbie defeat and Met win as the Cubbies imploded on themselves. Have been a die hard fan ever since. Good stuff, sports, gives us all something to talk about over a few key strokes on the computer during a break at work or a few beers when the day is done!

Talk to you soon, my new friend!

Windy

Good story Windy. I recall 2003 when the Cub fan deflected the foul ball Alou was tring to catch in game #6,that rattled the Cubs and they lost. Game #7 they folded. That sure was fun down at the local AM. Legion,that was the year I learn to imitate a goat among other forms of torture. Good times.

OH,football, moving C Williams to the right side.

Good luck this weekend ttg