Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRH1175

co-pilot or maxxum

9 posts in this topic

I have a powerdrive for my Lund Explorer I hate the foot pedel. I have two options add a co-pilot so I can get rid of that stupid corded pedeal or get the maxxum with the tiller handle. When I use the bow mount I am always in the bow as I have the universal transducer and lowrance up front as well. What would you do?

I'd get the copilot.

It gives you more flexibility with regard to where you're at in the boat - maybe you're netting a fish by yourself in the back of the boat and you realize you need to get pointed into deeper water - hit the button on the copilot and you're set. Otherwise you've got to drop what you're doing, walk to the front and make the correction.

marine_man

DRH,

I have the same motor and I also hate the foot pedal. I have the co-pilot, but it's tricky to use that unless you mount those remote holders on your fishing poles. I bass fish a lot so both hands are usually taken up casting and reeling. I wish I would have:

a. gone with a cable driven trolling motor

b. got a motor that you can pull up/deploy with a rope. That powerdrive system doesn't work smoothly as it's hard to get the motor in and out

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question. Like I said, I have the co-pilot but find it difficult to use because you have to stop fishing. Do you have a pedestal seat up front? I think that powerdrive foot pedal would be easier to use with one of those.

I would get a maxxum, that is cable driven or get the hand controlled one. I've used both, I really like the cable driven but if you dont like the foot control on it go to the tiller.

The foot pedal on the powerdrive is hard to work because you have to apply pressure from side-to-side instead of forward and backward like a cable driven motor. It's just kind of awkward and hard to apply the right pressure while standing.

When I use the bow mount I am always in the bow as I have the universal transducer and lowrance up front as well. What would you do?

I think it depends on how you fish. If you're in the bow dragging around a live bait rig or vertical jigging for walleyes, then it's not a big deal to use your hand to operate the copilot control or a hand-controlled motor. But if you're casting and retrieving, using your hand to control the motor takes time away from fishing, and if you're fishing for muskies you need to keep your bait moving so you really can't stop during the retrieve to adjust your motor.

I don't love my foot control by any means, but I love using my foot control because I can do it without interferring with my fishing.

As PJ says, its all about your style of fishing,'

For me, I would be dead without my Maxxum.. I cant stand a non cable unit, they dont react quick enough.