• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics for iphone!!!!!

sonoranhope

Navionics now makes lake contour/depth maps as an app for iPhone3g and iPod Touch... AND at a discounted price 49 until end of April 2009! If I wasn't so broke, and just got a good deal on an XOG, Id be all over it. I searched around here a bit for this info, but couldn't find any.... Excuse me if it is old news to y'all... I would post the link but I have NO permission. Its in the App store thru iTunes of course, but check the official Navionics site also...

Wil

Man..... why did you have to go and post this. Now I want an iPhone even more.

The only thing that isn't so good about using it is while fishing or hunting is that your iPhone isn't waterproof. But, man, that's awesome to see that they are making the maps available on mobile devices.

<quote>Man..... why did you have to go and post this<quote>

Sorry... if U have an iphone or iPod touch, they do have a free app (like the GPS simulator on Lowrance Fishfinders) on iTunes... It has example areas in florida and Italy... Pretty good quality. I am impressed. Hope LakeMaster decides to do the same. May sell the XOG and get the both of them.

No, the Touch doesn't have GPS. It uses wifi triangulation to determine your location.

Here's a news release I found.

Quote:
iPhone and iPod Touch added with GPS-like capability

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced major software updates for its iPhone and iPod Touch devices. iPhone users now can send SMS messages to multiple people and iPod Touch users get access to several applications that have been available on the iPhone: Mail, maps, stock quotes, notes and weather reports.

Most significantly, however, is the addition of a GPS-like positioning feature: Rather than using a GPS receiver, Apple consulted with Google and Skyhook Wireless to come up with a technology that uses triangular Wi-Fi and cellular beacon layouts to determine the location of a device. iPhone users will be able to take advantage of the new feature through the free iPhone software upgrade 1.1.3, while people who already have purchased an iPod Touch will have to shell out an extra $20 for the upgrade. All new iPod Touch devices will come with the positioning feature without extra cost.

Now the being said, the Touch won't be able to determine your location unless you are near WiFi spots. But, I believe you can still view all the maps on the Navionics app. Kinda like how you can see the info on an H20 even when it can't get a GPS signal.

It is the jesus phone so it should float, right?

FYI it might not work for the gen 1 touch. The requirements show only iphone and gen 2 touch. But the free viewer does work with the gen 1 so who knows.

I also ran across "water map navigator" app with mn lake maps that I may try.

iPod Touch may be able to display Navionics maps, but it does NOT have GPS antenna or the ability to get signals from GPS satellites. The Touch's only connection to the outside world is via wi-fi.

I don't know about the iPhone, although I have never seen anything referring to GPS capabilities there either.