• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can the DNR close a lake

fishersofmen

Has the DNR ever closed a lake for a certain period of time for fear it was being over fished?? Maybe a smaller lake that has a hot bite and word gets out and there ends up being 1,000 people pounding the lake. A lot of us have seen this happen, and maybe in certain situations it would be a good thing. Have they ever shut one down or can they??

updecreek the question was pure speculation on my part........ not talking about (the duck pond) or any other lake for that matter, just curious if its ever been done before. As far as that lake goes at 3,000 acres even with the hundreds out there it hasn't even been tapped yet. Plus as an avid duck hunter I look forward to 2015. You get an F in the private investigator class. Lol.

If the DNR shuts down a lake because of a hot bite folks will just return when it reopens. Maybe more will come because of the publicity. Then the question might be, what about slot limits? My response would be that if we need so many lakes with special regulations then it is time to cut limits on all lakes.

Fisherofmen, Yes thats the walleye that had the crappies in it. 1 week later I caught other 10# that I released. That fish photoed in the bait shop inhaled the jig so deep it was in it throat area. It would have dead cause of the size jig I was using that nite.

Matt, the fish is a 42in muskie, caught while bro-in-law he was going to show me how to catch muskies. I guide on that lake, but he thinks he knows more. I caught a 36" pike, 5 minutes before the muskie was caught. He took the photo b4 I was ready. He was hosed off, lasted for the next 4 hrs of fishing. He caught 0,

Has the DNR ever closed a lake for a certain period of time for fear it was being over fished?? Maybe a smaller lake that has a hot bite and word gets out and there ends up being 1,000 people pounding the lake. A lot of us have seen this happen, and maybe in certain situations it would be a good thing. Have they ever shut one down or can they??

Here's a question for ya... can a CITY shut down a lake inside a public park to fishing?

The DNR can do it, but I don't think a city should be able to.