• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger tank leaking

sandbagger

Question

I have an older 8-inch Eskimo auger. Picked it up a year ago at a garage sale for $25. Runs great, but the gas tank is leaking like a sieve now at the point where the gas line attaches to the bottom of the tank. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried a few remedies and they don't seem to work. I've checked the Ardisam Web site and I can just buy a new tank and line and may end up doing that, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has come up with a creative, cost-effective way to fix it. Ice is getting too thick to keep using the hand auger now.

Many thanks for any tips.

11 answers to this question

Make sure it's not leaking out of the carb and just running down the line--they'll often leak out of the carb if it's gummed up. Otherwise, empty the tank, disconnect the fuel line and look for a crack. Epoxy will probably hold it. Also check the connection between the line and the tank-there should be a small metal hose clamp that may have slid off the plastic end. They are fairly simply to take apart--just don't lose any pieces.

Look on some of the web sites for old tractor restorers, they sell a chemical that you put in a fuel tank that will seal all cracks and pin holes. I never used it, I usually just tin the bottom of the tank. Washing the tank out good is a real good idea if you go this route.

Sandbagger i just had the same problem with my strikemaster magnum. I just pulled the fuel line off and replaced it with new. the filter and the line make the seal inside the tank and with new line it resealed perfect. Hope this helps.

Sandbagger i just had the same problem with my strikemaster magnum. I just pulled the fuel line off and replaced it with new. the filter and the line make the seal inside the tank and with new line it resealed perfect. Hope this helps.

Yep, what he said. Had the same issue last year and this resolved it.

Just to clarify those last two, the fuel line is fed through a hole in the tank. The fuel filter is pushed into the end of the hose that stays in the tank. You pull the hose until the barb on the filter is visible in the hole in the tank. Then you need to puul on the hose and push on the filter stone until the filter stone is seated against the side of the inside of the tank. The barb on the filter should be almost completely visible on the outside of the tank. The hose is the actual seal that keeps the fuel from leaking out. Hope this helps.