• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stock wood for cabinets

WaveWacker

Any Lumber yard will stock hardwoods in a few different species. Oak, Maple, Cherry (sometimes), and some softwoods.

When you get into sheet goods, it will be harder and only oak will be readily available. Menards has a special order for about 6 species of wood. They may be your best bet, but you cannot take any back, and if it is damaged, you are SOL.

Sheet goods are very expensive. $65 up to about $150 per sheet depending on species. Don't make any bad cuts.

You'll use a cabinet grade plywood for the carcass. That could be anything from fir to a vinyl clad or a number of hardwoods.

The face frames will be solid wood. Door fronts will be solid strips of wood altering the end grain and glued. Or you can buy the doors. You'll find Oak one of the most popular and with the most options to the above. So you can't beat it for that reason plus its hard wood and will take abuse. You'll find all that at Menards and Home Depot plus all hardware you'll need.

If your looking for a more exotic wood you'll need to start calling lumber yards.

Not to scare you but, have you done this before? Do you have the equipment? That is a major undertaking.

As far as materials stay away from the big box stores. The veneer is low-low grade. If you so much as touch it with a sander you will burn through the veneer instantly. You get what you pay for.

As far as face frames, door stiles/rails/panels you will want actually wood for that and i would buy it in quanity to save some bucks. I buy it right at the mills and save some bucks.

Good luck!

I can't think of the name of it right now but there is a place in Cannon Falls that seems to have good deals from time to time if you want to buy in bulk.

Do you have a planer? If you do, you could get by cheaper, just buy the boards straight line ripped unplaned both sides and plane them yourself. If not, you can always buy it planed already, just costs a little more of course.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of tools do you own? Table saw, miter or radial arm saw? What will you make the faceframes with? Biscuit Jointer? I prefer a Kreg jig to make pocket holes myself. How about the doors? Do you plan to make them or buy them? Do you have a shaper?

Just being nosey I guess. I like to talk woodworking.