• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Population

KadenBear

Whether the DNR admits it or not I know that all the heavy snow and a cold/wet spring were hard on the deer in the SE corner of the state. There were a lot of skeletor-deer walking around late winter down there this year. Coincidentally we didn't see many deer in the woods and the harvest numbers were down - imagine that!

If this winter continues the way it is starting its going to knock the population down even further. The DNR won't admit that they (and us hunters) can't impact the deer population anywhere near what Mother Nature can do. Unfortunately it takes a few years for permit changes to react to bad hunts. If this winter is a hard one too it will probably mean slow years in the woods for the next few years. Northern regions have it doubly-bad with all the wolves running around now. The times are a-changing!

The DNR won't admit that they (and us hunters) can't impact the deer population anywhere near what Mother Nature can do.

I beleive the DNR is well aware of the impacts Mother Nature can have on the deer herd.

I guess I'll never understand the mind-set of people that believe the DNR is out to ruin our outdoor pursuits. crazy

Ditto in why would we as hunters want to see less deer. I liked the days where I could take more than one. Well I guess now I know where we're headed and that the lottery designation in our area won't change anytime soon. In fact, I wonder if the whole state will go to a one deer total designation in the future?

And no, I don't think the DNR is out to ruin my fun. I'm just interested in what the future of deer hunting will be like in Minnesota. What sucks about the one tag system is, that people who want to respect it do. And others buy tags for their kids, girlfriends, wives, mother-in-laws, etc. And a whole lotta people do that. In the end, the honest people are penalized and everyone else shoots how many they want.

How is it that we have a top 10 harvest in the history of MN deer hunting, and the blight of our future is such a focus point?

We are going to have up years. We are going to have down years.

This is crazy.

How is the poor DNR supposed to satisfy every Tom, [PoorWordUsage] and Harry? It will never happen.

As I have said before. Be thankful for what we have. Look back to the 70's. A couple years there was NO SEASON.

There was a statewide 1 or 2 day hunt with firearms for many years.

I must be missing something big time. I just see a lot of people that cry the "woe is me" because they didnt get their fair share this year.

When these same people have a few years in a row of success, are we going to be hearing the cheers?

Not as likely. People tend to speak up when things are bad. But when the gettings good, they just roll with the punches.

I personally think the DNR has done a great job in the past decade since I've started hunting. I don't have any prior experiences or knowledge.

Per the article, I just though the tone of the piece made it appear as if hunting opps were going to be minimized in future years. Basically, it said to me, let's keep deer numbers and bag limits down going forward. Perhaps that's the way we're headed and I will live with that. Not everyone is a hunter. Sounds like from the article that people involved in agriculture would like fewer deer. And I respect that. Those people are trying to make a living. We as hunters are doing something that is a hobby that we enjoy. So if it means we can only shoot one deer and see fewer of them, then maybe that's something we'll have to do.

I really feel the winters dictate the deer population more than the DNR. If you look at the past 8 or so winters they have been fairly mild and the deer have boomed, if we get a few bad winters the population will drop. Sure as hunters we do are part and help the DNR but no one is better at it than mother nature.

On a personal note I would love to see a larger deer population, I like to have extra tags and shoot a few deer every deer. I don't think we would ever run into a population problem because of our winters. However I'm not a farmer either so I can understand if they want a few less deer around.

How is it that we have a top 10 harvest in the history of MN deer hunting, and the blight of our future is such a focus point?

We are going to have up years. We are going to have down years.

This is crazy.

How is the poor DNR supposed to satisfy every Tom, [PoorWordUsage] and Harry? It will never happen.

As I have said before. Be thankful for what we have. Look back to the 70's. A couple years there was NO SEASON.

There was a statewide 1 or 2 day hunt with firearms for many years.

I must be missing something big time. I just see a lot of people that cry the "woe is me" because they didnt get their fair share this year.

When these same people have a few years in a row of success, are we going to be hearing the cheers?

Not as likely. People tend to speak up when things are bad. But when the gettings good, they just roll with the punches.

Exactly... people need to realize they are not gonna shoot a deer every year. just like fishing... you may not get your limit everytime you go out, its just the way it is.

People just like to complain...simple as that