• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you fool a deer's nose?

Thinking about this a little more it may depend on the area you hunt. Deer that are around people may tolerate a little human scent while bucks that may never see a person most of the year might high tail it out of there. I've also read that bucks in high pressured states like MN won't tolerate scent than say a buck on a large unpressured ranch in Texas or managed farmland in Iowa.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the way i see it with the dryer sheet is i'd rather have it adsorb that then the last fabric softener odor that was in there...either way my suit is gonna be adsorbing odor no matter what.

it would be nice to have a seperate washer and dryer but i don't.

do you think a deer that has never seen a person would know what we smell like? would they relate our odor to danger if they never were in danger of that odor?

all i wear is rubber boots, they hold scent in the best and are easiest to keep scent free imo.

Guru, I was referring to the earth dryer sheet, but also fall blend if sprayed on rhe carbon suit directly or on other garments that the carbon suit is stored with. Better to run the dryer for 15 minutes in advance, or even with a clean towel (washed in your unscented detergent) to take out any residual odors. Otherwise on the scent shield, white lightning, etc all good stuff - spray away. Carbon Blast, while maybe a little messy, is one of the best - you get chemical neutralization and adsorption. If you are concerned about using it on a lighter camo or snow camo or orange, spray it on the inside of the suit. One of the biggest problems with boots, even rubber, is not that they let your scent through, but the inherent glue smells that all new boots have and takes awhile to get rid of. Scrub em, spray 'em continuosly, and let them out in the sun to oxidize those odors. Try rubbing an older or starting-to-rot apple on them. And breath is a tough one because we are constantly producing odor in our mouth and in our lungs and exhaling it. Gum with apple, antibacterials, chlorophyll, eating apples is all go. But you still need a carbon face mask or headcover to adsorb all our odors. I'll keep chipping away at this.

Another interesting scent problem I have it I can only access a couple of locations by taking a wheeler 2 or 3 miles back, then another half mile to mile on foot depending on the stand I want to hunt. I always spray down once I get there, try to stay upwind of the exhaust and even spray the wheeler before I hop on but I just know some scent is getting on me somehow. Maybe on those days I will just have to focus on playing the wind but I am open to any ideas.

I feel woodsmanship, stand placement, and acknowledging the wind far outweigh any success a sophisticated scent regiment can produce. Guys have repeatedly put mature bucks on the ground year-after-year long before all this hype was created. I still take precautions in the field especially my boots, but don't solely attribute my success to it.

In my opinion it works, since I started using these products, I have far fewer deer snorting at me from a hundred yards away than I used to. Deer that hit my tracks that used to turn themselves inside out getting away, now stop and smell the ground, look around for awhile, and usually continue on their way. I think that they smell me, but apparently the scent is faint enough that it doesn't put them on full alert.

Look at it this way. If you picture your scent as a cloud that surrounds you at all times, everything you walk past on the way to your stand, gets a little of that cloud on it. Once you are in your stand, that cloud gets blown away from you, but it is constantly being replaced. If you do nothing to control your scent, smoke a heater, fill up the tank and eat a breakfast burrito before you hit the woods, your cloud is huge.

If you do try to control your scent, you're making that cloud smaller, you may not eliminate it, but you are definitely putting out less scent.

Another benefit is most of us can't hunt a fresh stand every day, how many deer are you educating each time you hunt? Just because you're not there, your scent lingers for days, how much scent you leave in your hunting area will determine how many deer you see 2 months into the season.

That being said, I still try to have options so I can hunt different stands depending on the wind.

yeah i like to wear my scent shield face mask...stops scent and it also stops them big clouds coming from your mouth when your breathing in the cold.

ofcourse woodsmanship, stand placement, and acknowledging the wind is very important...if your not in the right spot or ruin your hunt before you get there your probably not gonna see many deer.

but i don't understand how making yourself less of a threat to the game you are hunting to be hype...some newbie could do everything wrong and go sit on a stump somewhere and get a monster buck...even the hunters that repeatedly got big bucks knew more and did more then the average guy.

the nose of a whitetail is extreme....everything they do involves their nose....no one even knows how many big bucks sniffed them out that they never even seen...just cause you see deer and don't do much scent control doesn't mean you aren't scaring mature deer out of the area long before you ever see them.

its like sayin i been in a few school yard brawls before so i can go fight lesnar with no training lol

As strong as a deer's nose is, I don't see useing a scent blocker as a key to success. Maybe it's because I hunt in a great area, but this past fall, my better half shot a nice 8 point at 40 yards (her first deer ever) while we both had a cigarette lit. It had no idea that we were there until I whistled.

Quote:
yeah i like to wear my scent shield face mask...stops scent

Does it? How can you be sure? What we've been led to believe isn't always the truth. Have you followed the ALS lawsuit at all? The stuff isn't effective! I've got a facemask and the whole works myself but don't buy it for a second that when I cut one loose in the trunk of my pants, there's no odor coming out somewhere. I play the game pretty passionately and do what I can to to tip the scale in my favor but I don't think putting all my eggs in a scent-lok suit is the answer in taking a mature whitetail. But what the heck do I know, I've never killed one.

As strong as a deer's nose is, I don't see useing a scent blocker as a key to success. Maybe it's because I hunt in a great area, but this past fall, my better half shot a nice 8 point at 40 yards (her first deer ever) while we both had a cigarette lit. It had no idea that we were there until I whistled.

That happens every year, I have uncle's that smoke nonstop on the stand and shoot deer. However if that deer was downwind of you I doubt you get that shot.

Originally Posted By: kingfisher1

That happens every year, I have uncle's that smoke nonstop on the stand and shoot deer. However if that deer was downwind of you I doubt you get that shot.

I think sometimes you would get that shot and sometimes you might not.

Smoke is Natural smell.

You don't think a deer has ever smelt smoke before?

Originally Posted By: Bear55
Originally Posted By: kingfisher1

I think sometimes you would get that shot and sometimes you might not.

Smoke is Natural smell.

You don't think a deer has ever smelt smoke before?

I'm sure they have smelt smoke before tobacco smells different that say a fire pit or grass fire. I also don't know of any smokers who practice scent control. You said the deer was coming into the wind, was the deer strait downwind of you or was is blowing from the side? That can make all the difference in the world sometimes.

the buck came from directly down wind of us. I was sitting in the stand with her and watched it come in. I could see it walk in from about 100 yards away, and don't know how far away it started from, but it came from directly down wind. Once I whistled, it turned broadside for us, not knowing where the sound came from, but ready to bolt. She made a clean, killing shot at 40 yards

It's hard to justify the expense of the suit isn't it? smile

it kinda is for me, especially when they have the lawsuit going on, and I, for some strange reason, do better when I have a lit ciggy in my hand. They always seem to give me opportunities when I lite up.

The carbon is air permeable. You don't want it to not be - like wearing a plastic bag. If you blow it through, the carbon does not have time to adsorb it. Thankfully the vapor pressure that forces odor off our bodies isn't anywhere close to expelling it like a f..t.

In my opinion the carbon clothing helps but not enough to justify the price. Especially when washing your clothes and taking a good shower is just as good or better than throwing on a carbon suite. Of course doing all three would certainly eliminate the most scent.