• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spinning reels

catch22

Question

I'm not a reel collector, but am interested in picking up a couple older reels as I've dumped yet another one of my rod reel combos in the river. I like some of the retro stuff I had, but I failed to document what I had. I'd like to hear specifc make/model spinning (open face) reels going back to the mid eighties that you folks considered excellent reels for their time. Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

My favorite all time spinning reels were Abu garcia C4's (and C3's) They had the rear drag knob angled downward. Great reels...

I did some research after I posted and the cardinal 4 5 and 152 were listed as some of the best spinning reels made. Unfortunately the collectors are after these. shimano reels that were made in japan are rated well also, thanks for your reply.

I loved and still love the Shimano Spirex's. The QuickCast and the rear "fighting" drag smile We still have lots of those left, but they are being replaced by the newer antireverse models that are smoother. One handed casting was coooool smile But now I am used to and like the anti reverse for better hook sets.

I am with traveler on this one. I still have and will never get rid of my Cardinal C-3s. I now have 5 of them and 12 spools and a spare drag knob ,bail spring and the screw that holds the bail on. If you open one up they used nothing but brass gears so you know they were made to last a long time. The only reel that I know of that did that was some of the Penns.

PS I got the last one at a sale for $3.00

Back in the early 80's Shakespeare (yes Shakespeare!!) had a line of spinning reels that were really the cat's meow. They were the Sigma Supra 2400 and 2500 series. The sizes ranged from ultralight (025) through the medium (040) and I had a larger model used for large slimers, but it has long since been destroyed in an unfortunate incident involving a set of portage wheels.....

I still use a couple of the old Sigma Supras, but age has taken its toll, and they are pretty much relegated to spare rods now.

hydro, I'd gladly take your Cardinal 4. Please give me a call @ 763-370-2772.

To answer Catch 22's question. I have some Cardinal 3's and 4's that the drag still works smoothly. I also like the option of back reeling with them. They were $85.00 when they first came out.

Brian