• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's an ill wind...

I was driving by Boyer Lake on Hwy 10, I had to get a shot of the wind and the water and the weeds.

Any comment on how I could have improved the accent on the tree would be appreciated.

Canon XTi AP 1/1250 iso400 f/5.0 28-135mm at30mm

Boyer.jpg

Nice shot...and although I will offer some suggestions, I have to say that I too struggle with getting a good capture on shots like these. So many variables and so many things you can't control.

First suggestion....light. I have had some success with getting the sun behind the ice and using it as backlighting. Works sometimes...not always. In this case it may involve getting wet frown

Second...I would try to maybe get a tighter crop with the camera and open up the aperture a little. I think that would at least blur the background a bit and take some of the clutter out of the picture...like the cars in the background.

Third...and probably my best is to fire away. Take a lot of different shots...play with the camera, the lens, the angle...this is the digital age...trial and error is cheap and the feedback is instant.

Maybe an angle from the lake's perspective. Kinda of a combo on what Yeti and Snooze suggested. A little up angle from in the water and maybe sun sunlight through the ice might refract the light and give it a prism like effect. I myself am not too great at that type of shot. After all it has taken me a few days just to come up with an idea and I poached a little from these other guys. I do like what you have captured, I always struggle to find that wow angle in a landscape or nature photo.

Nice Subject. I drove past there twice this week and thought to myself that I needed to get the camera and take a shot of that exact tree. It would have been perfect today as I drove past at about 4 p.m. with the sun low in the sky behind it.