• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone get anything?

PmDavis300

Saturday morning I was pumped! I went from seeing hardly anything for bucks since September to seeing 4 wall hangers in the last week! They're movin'!

I had a good stand site considering the wind and a fresh dusting of snow only tipped the odds more in my favor. I was hoping our youngest daughter would come out for the morning but it was too cold for her to spectate (she doesn't like shooting guns and isn't ready for bowhunting just yet).

In the Emily area the shots started out later than normal and stayed slow but steady.

About a half hour after light a doe came running by almost full tilt about 25 yards out. I grabbed my rifle off the hook thinking either someone spooked her or she was getting chased. Sure enough a young 8 comes running through on her trail. I let him run.

In a few minutes a 6 shows up down in the swamp and as I watch him come closer, another 8 shows on the trail of the first two. The two of those deer meet in front of me (downwind at this time). The 8 doesn't like something but doesn't really spook. He just walks further west and around the swamp to pick up the trail of the first two again. The 6 follows.

A half rack 8 (so 4, I guess) comes along the trail later. Again I watch him walk on by but wishing our daughter would have come out this morning.

Just before 9 am I hear a shot somewhat close to the north of me so I focus my attention that way. In a bit, another buck comes loping and limping up the wheeler trail to about 20 yards. He catches me as put my binocs on the seat of the stand and reach for my rifle. I freeze and we stare down for a bit. I decide I'm going to shoot him because I think he's wounded.

He backs off to catch an opening down to the swamp which was just enough time to shoulder my rifle and blat at him. He stops and I shoot. Now he's really limping - right till he piles up maybe 40 yards further.

I went back to camp to get our girls to come out and track this deer for some experience. It wasn't hard to follow the blood trail but it was worth it to me.

The deer was not previously hit so I don't know why he appeared to limp. He's not huge, but he'll do and make some nice rattling antlers.

Fall2008011.jpg

I put our oldest daughter in my stand on Sunday but she didn't get to see any. Another kid from our party sat to our north and picked off a doe that was being followed at a distance by another buck. He didn't realize it until it was too late.

We went two for ten on the weekend. Not much moving anywhere else.

Congrats to you others that tagged out on a tough weekend!

A friend of mine shot a really nice 10 pointer out of my old stand on Saturday morning. The deer is at the taxidermist. It should score gross upper 150's, net in the 140's. It has a nice spread, thick base, and long tines. I will try to get a decent picture and post it later.

Our group went 3 for 10 with numerous passes on young bucks. I passed up 4 little 6s and 8s. Dad saw a big one go into the woods 100 yards or so from me, but must have stayed just far enough that I couldnt see him...I had deer around me at the time and was hard to look very well with a 6 pointer at about 25 yards. Brother got his first ever buck, a little 7 pointer (for a kids first buck, they can shoot anything). Group got a nice 8 and a nice 10. If the corn comes out, next weekend could be good.

I got this 8 at about 9:45 or so on Saturday. Dressed out at about 185 or so.

2780162830066944255S425x425Q85.jpg

2675128720066944255S425x425Q85.jpg

And later that afternoon, my daughter shot her first deer ever while on stand solo for the first time as well.

I must say, I'm one proud father, that's for sure!

2315853970066944255S425x425Q85.jpg

I was fairly surprised that the rest of the group all passed on stuff. I have been preaching for years....i guess it is starting to work.

It does sometimes seem that you're beating your head into a wall, but eventually it will catch on...especially after year 2 or so of letting them go and all of a sudden there are a lot more decent bucks showing up. It's a step man! Congrats! smile

Thanks -

Froggy - She sewed that thing on her hat by herself. It brought back a lot of memories for me, as I remember wearing mine as well. She did the apprentice deal last year, and then did gun safety this past spring. She's been shooting since she was 10, but until last year, never showed any interest. Best part of her bagging a deer was the shot. She's using a .25-20. So not much of a blood trail. Beauty of it was that we didn't need one. She nailed it right behind the right shoulder, came out almost directly on the other side. Double lung, heart. Not a bad placement for the first time she'd ever taken a bead. And the best part? She's ready to do it again. But next time, and I quote, " I want a buck bigger than the one you got"... grin

Anyway, congrats to all who were able to harvest a deer this year, may the ones you passed on grow up to be what you hope for, and stay safe out there.

Not that I doubt you but I would like to see that driveway, sounds like it is straight as an arrow. And don't tell us you got an nice buck without pictures!

Still have not gotten pics from my cousin. When I go up for muzzleloading I will take a picture of the

Google earth - bassett township; look for the cemetery - I am straight north two miles on an old road

I got up this morning to hunt with my dad but only this morning since he had some prior engagements he had to go to, so we were going to sit until 10 am and call her a day. Well this morning it was snowing and sleet mix, that made my walk to the stand really quiet. I got in about 6:30 or so, and by 6:44 I had my buck on the ground. I heard the grass shuffling sound coming from the south at only 40 yards and before I knew it this buck was 15 yards away in my shooting lane and my gun was point in the direction of another so then he spotted me and took a few steps and I brought my gun half way to his direction and he looked at me again! That stare lasted only seconds and once he looked away, it was one fell swoop, brought the gun to his direction and as I came down onto his chest I took off the safety and once the cross hairs hit his chest an almost automatic boom came and the flames shot from the muzzle, and alas 35 yards later he was down for the count.

I said to myself before the season opened and thought I would have doe on the ground with my bow, but that never happened, that I would pass up young bucks. I had shot one buck a couple years before this one and that was a spike but I had an overwhelming urge to take this deer. Next year however I am going to stick to my plan and wait for a nice one and shoot the does.

here are some pictures, nice sized body on him (have yet to weigh him) but hes still a trophy.

My dad and I have so much fun deer hunting together that it should almost, key word "almost" be illegal.

buck009.jpg

bagley-buck002.jpg