• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

some serious fishing questions

50inchpig

So we're on the boat last night and question comes up - If you had infared or heat sensitive goggles would you be able to see follows at night?

I say no, he says yes. I'm not even sure if they are the same thing. Neither of us have any experience with such equipment, anybody ever used any toys like that when you were fishing? Yeah, it was a pretty slow last night.....

Well since fish are cold blooded, their body temps change with the water temps. In short, no. The possibility exists though that say you had a fish that was in the shallows sunning all day and then at night went out to the deep weedline for a quick snack. That fish may have a slightly different body temp, but it would not be enough to differentiate with infared glasses.

Its not surprising you have lots of time to ponder out there.

Interesting idea. That would be fun to test out. I wonder if someone in the military would have any insight. My guess is that infrared wouldn't but night vision should. In the mean time you will have to do a blind 8 and get the @#%$ scared out of you like me when they hammer it! smile

i'd agree with the others. no to infrared yes to night vision. interesting. thanks for the brain tune up. smile

but for 500-6000 bucks or even more who'd want to wear basicly a pair of binoculars with three times the weight? lol. might be fun though to see how many are actually missed, huh?

Quote:
Yeah, it was a pretty slow last night.....

Pretty funny where a slow day/night can take a conversation..... we've had some good ones for sure!

If I recall, the depth perception can be impaired by night vision equipment, I could see that being a problem!

Coming from someone who has worn A LOT of night vision googles, they would work and we have often thought about trying it out. CJAC is correct, is does throw you depth perception off, but the newer googles are getting better and better all the time. They would work, and probably work really well!!

Just to clarify....infared wouldn't get you jack. They are designed to see the light spectrum that is invisible to the naked eye. There has to be something emitting an infared signature in order to see it. To my knowledge, fish don't do that. I think what you are looking for is some thermal googles. These are designed to pick up heat signatures from objects. Not quite sure how well these would work because, as stated above, with fish being cold blooded and basically being the same temp as the water, if the difference in temps wasn't pretty significant, everything would just be a blob.