• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Uneven Boat Trailer Tire Wear

KJSnider

Question

My trailer, a Karavan, that hauls my 175 Alumacraft Dominator has very uneven tire wear.

The outside of the tread pattern on both tires is essentially gone. While the inside of the pattern has quite a lot left.

Do you think this is do to possibly a bent axle that needs to be straightened or aligned??, or what?? I added the weight together of the boat, motor, and extras, and should be within the upper range of the recommended weight range for the trailer.

KJ

7 answers to this question

If you were overloading the trailer it'd be more likely that the insides of your tires would be wearing faster, not the outsides.

I'm not mechanical but I think the spindles or axle could be adjusted or alighed to take care of the uneven wear. I'd check with a dealer that sells Karavan, or with Karavan themselves, and see if they can point you in the right direction. Or check with a brake/tire shop for automobiles and see what they say.

Another possibility is cornering. I have saw many people that wip around corners with a boat in tow. That makes the tire roll onto the sidewall thus causing outside wear on the tire. I personaly like to slow'er down a little on the curves. If that tire goes while wipping around a curve I dread to think of the possible. Take er slow and be carefull! My 1750 sportfish could travel a long ways if the whole thing goes south on ya.

whats your tire pressure? most require 50 psi, if they are under inflated, this will cause un-even tire wear. I had the same problem, I had my tire pressure at 35 psi, I did not know they were supposed to be up to 50 psi. check your tire for the actual tire pressure needed.

if your axels or spindles are out of line, you will blow out bearings, so if this has not happened, I would not think that this is your problem.