• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labs limp tail

JPowell

I know i have read abou this before but i just have to ask again. I was out for the duck opener with the dog. he was working pretty good and swimming alot and now this morning he has a limp tail. i remember reading about his and how it is a type of sprain if i rememeber right. My question is if there is anything that i can do or does it just take him a little bit to get it back on track. my other question is if i should hold him back from the pheasent opener next weekend. what do you guys think.

Seabass,

My lab has the same thing, you can give your dog an asprin,( what it said on-line) and it takes anywhere from a couple of days to 3 weeks for it to heal.

This is my first time having this trouble so I am not sure how long it'll take to heal. She is 17 months old and her tail is a big part of her personality.

My last lab I had to amputate the last 8 or so inches of her tail because she cut it and it wouldn't heal.

So I'll take this over the amputation any day.

WW

He has been doing fine. Just kind of different not seeing that tail that always wags. If it is not better before this weekend i guess he will have to sit this opener out for now...plenty of season i guess. He has been sitting on it and it doesn't seem to bother him that much but i will look into the asprin.

My old vet always called it "Pump Handles Tail" like a pump handle on an old well. My old dog's tail would look just like it. He said it was a sprain basically cuz the tail muscles were out of shape. Weren't used to working so hard. Seemed like he'd get it early in year then never again as I suppose it got in shape.