• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

grizzly 700 or outlander 500?

jtm

I'm considering getting a new wheeler. I've currently got a 02 kodiak and a 03 rancher. Honda is a great machine but I will probally not buy another one until I'm old. I love the yamaha but I can get a great deal on a o8 outlander. I dont know much about them. I want to know which one will stand up to the most abuse. I currently put about 3000 miles of hard and abusive riding a year on them[mostly trail riding and am sick of doing repairs.] If given a choice what would you pick? there are no other options as far as brands go for me. Just looking for some input on which one will last longer. Grizzly 700 or outlander 500? thanks in advance

It's a toss up. Power will probably be really close. For ruggedness on the trails, I would take the Griz out of your choices. I don't own either one, but that is my opinion.

In that price range, there are a lot of options on brand and model. I'm sure the 500 is a little cheaper though, isn't it?

You could probably compare the Outty 650 to the Griz as far as price.

with all the frame and a-arm horror stories you hear on the can-ams and you know your going to push this quad hard I would stay away from the can-am.

I have raced side by side with them in harescrambles and watched them break right in front of my own eyes.

In all fairness no machine out there has a fool proof frame. You can goto any ATV forum on the internet and read thread after thread how frames have broke on all quads The can-ams machines are no different. With a set of skids on the can-ams machines I don't find their frames are any weaker than any other frame out there. Keep in mind nearly every machine out there has a set of factory/stock skid plates, the can-am machines do not. can-am dropped the ball on not providing ample STOCK protection to their quads. For the amount of money people pay for those machines they shouldnt have to spend another $400 or so on set of good skids.

there are pros and cons to both

Yamaha has the power steering which is nice.

I would just go out and ride them both and see what fits you best. I wouldnt hesitate to ride other brands such as Polaris or Kawi you might find one you like better just by riding them all.

I have an '07 Outty 500 and really love the machine -ergos, ride, suspension, power, reliablity, 36 month factory warranty are all great. I'm still a little undecided on the visco-lok 4wd, it works great in mud and water but can get a bit hairy when it engages during a steep hill climb. If I ever switch, I'm definitely going to look at the Grizz 700 FI. Go to to your local dealer and take a test ride, that will usually narrow down your choices pretty quick!

If you want something durable go with the Yamaha. It's not that CanAms are that unreliable, but I believe Yamaha is second only to Honda in that aspect. The Grizzly is a proven machine. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

well the price range between the two is only about 5 hundred dollars and the yamaha will throw in a 69$ winch. I did look at the 550 yamaha and it looks like a great machine but is the same price as a 700 almost. It is also the first year for it which scares me. I've learned my lesson on first year models with my old 05 brute force 750. Only kept that one summer and got the yamaha. I plane on trying them both out this weekend if time allows. keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate it. Oh and yes I did look at some of the other atv forums but that didnt go to far. Everyone seems to think that whatever brand they own is the toughest.

How about this......'You have to pay to play' if you play that hard.

CanAm and Kawi probably have the most aftermarket parts because they are used and abused the most. Polaris may be in the same category soon since highlifter picked them up.

No offense, but like I told some friends of mine....."an ATV is NOT a bulldozer!" smile They went through one atv each and ran out of money to fix them. If you want to play hard, you have to pay.

They would both be good machines. I dont know how the newer Can ams are but the older ones the Visco doesnt work very well. It seems to unlock as soon as you get traction and then you sit there spining again until it locks again. On the Grizz it is all locked up whenever you push the button. The Visco lock is nice because you can still turn in 4WD. On my Grizz 660 with 28" Oulaws on it you cant even think about turning the bars with the diff locked. If you get a 700 with power steering that would solve that problem. If I was going to buy a new wheeler today it would be a 700 Grizz.

I would get the Yamaha. They are as tough and reliable as they get. Don't know anyone that owns a Can Am, but have had several Yamaha's and so have friends. They hold up to abuse rather well.I'm not talking just "hard" trail riding either!

No you wouldn't. You would buy an AC 700 Mudpro. laugh

Outlaws! What the heck are you doing? smile haha Oh that's right, you are only a few miles from Wisconsin now, aren't you.....

Yea thats right I would buy a Mudpro! Havent really had a chance to use the Outlaws to there potental yet. Just a bunch of trail riding! laugh

sorry to get back so late on this but computer crashed. But I did go with the grizzly 700. Found a good deal on a 08 holdover. Only problem is now I cant break it in till december because of new atv/hunting law. But the 5 miles I have drove it have been awsome! Thanks for the suggestions

Good job on the Griz, My buddy has one and I love it. I have a 05, 700 King Quad, and the Griz will be my next wheeler.The problem with the outlander that I have seen, is when you tire them up, because of the body shape you get DIRTY!!

I can't find it anywhere, but I read it before. It is something about within so many days of the deer hunting season, you cannot ride unless you have a deer hunting license. Maybe someone else can clarify or have a link.