Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert1965

I caught a ten pound walleye this spring, how to on ice& where.

14 posts in this topic

whats the biggest fish you have caught on the ice? big jig, small jig, early ice, late ice. what lakes hold the best potential in your opinion

26inch walleye, bald eagle, tent city, 915pm, mid week, late dec-early january, 18-23ft deep, small hook, crappie minnow, light snow.

26" walleye, Spider Lake by Nevis. 16-18ft deep, end of February, jigging spoon - crappie minnow hooked by the tail.

43 & 1/2 inch Pike. Caught outta Adrians at 10:15 AM on late slush. Took awhile but was one awesome ride! Also, on a local lake, was out for walleyes & was getting into them pretty good when close to midnight I nailed a 32 inch pike. Was a killer ride until I realized it wasn't a walleye. Still fun nonetheless.

I took my son on his first ice fishing trip to lotw northwest angle 2006 he was 8 yrs old and caught a 42 inch pike through the ice we all thought he had a pout on so we were not to excited untill it till we looked down the hole.It did not fight much until we got its head out of the hole.

30 1/2 inch walleye. small gold jig & minnow, mid January at 3am

Meeker co. lake

27 inch Walle on Mille Lacs last winter on a buckshot with the head of a fathead, 28 fow, midday, midseason. Also a 40 inch slimer on tipup with a 5 inch shiner, early ice, in 5 fow.

I have 3 legit 29.5" eyes to be proud of. All on Mille Lacs, late 90's up to the last in about '02. one was a plain hook and fat head, the other 2, the same small jig with fat head. All were early to mid January and at nite. All 3 went back in the hole!

Maybe I'm spoiled by having 3, but that size seem to be gone now or at least way harder to find with the pressure and lot guys keeping 28's. Not saying they shouldn't, that's personal choice and I believe in to each their own. Just seems like more are doing that.

I do have my Dad's 33" on the wall downstairs he got through the ice on New years day 1971 in a small lake near Brainerd.

It's the memories that last!!

Mine is a Mille Lacs walleye caught around new years 07 27.5 inches in 24 ft of water 2 buddies missed it and then it appeared on my vex and I sealed the deal.......jigging spoon with minnow head

I won't get into how big and how many but I get my share on the LOTW each winter. AEjr's and Northland Airplane jigs are my go to's usually.

30.25"/10#4oz Walleye on a 150 acre Todd Co. lake Jan 1st @ 4pm. Was preceded by 3 14-16" eyes within 45 minutes. Spinning rod/reel w/ braid mainline/8 lb flouro leader w/ plain #1 hook/glow bead on the knot. 4" shiner. Made 4 runs before it went by the hole. 20 fow. I don't fish the typical "big fish" lakes.

Same with Fiskynut, have gotten my fair share of big fish. Hands down, big water systems are your best bet to get big fish, but there are those sleeper lakes too. Most all of mine have come from Great Lakes systems, Superior and Michigan mainly.

If you want big walleyes you have to be on big water. My favorite is LOW. 30" 10.96 lbs. Still swimming to be photographed again this year.

DSC053301.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   No expert here either but I've talked to a couple.    Would your new, expanded slab be conducive to making the addition another zone or zones?  You could maybe run that expansion off different lines from the manifold above the slab so you don't have to route and pour over seams.   Definitely insulate below with GOOD insulation.  As mentioned, heat doesn't really rise the way we think it does; it moves to the cold and the earth will soak it up.   Heating your loop would be cheapest with a natural gas fired boiler, propane second.  Geothermal is expensive to put in so your payback on a new system is long.  Air source heat pumps are great until it gets really cold.  In the end, radiant in floor is the most efficient way to heat, but yes, it's slow to respond.  But if your toes are warm, you will be too.
    • I appreciate the response, I take nothing personally and didn't mean to be snippy in my reply. There are a lot of great comments on here and I will keep you posted on what I decide. Thanks again. 
    • Ice is quickly thinning on those northern lakes that still have ice with dangerous conditions on most lakes. The Wisconsin River is now open even in its northern stretches, but ice chucks can be seen melting along the river's edge. The lower Wisconsin River has finally dropped to near normal levels. Some walleye and brown trout are being caught on the Menominee River both trolling and angling from shore. Low water and cool water temperatures slowed the walleye run so far on the Oconto River. Anglers along the Wolf River have been starting to catch walleyes. A few sturgeon have been seen along the Wolf River, but warmer temperatures are needed for the sturgeon to start their annual spring spawning run. Walleye and sauger action on the Wisconsin River and Lake Wisconsin is slowly picking up.The steelhead season opened on the lower stretch of the Brule River last weekend and anglers reported good successPhoto Credit: DNRSpring steelhead fishing opened last Saturday for the lower stretch of the Brule River and there were lots of fishermen and fisherwomen on the river many who had a successful opener. .
    • I apologize if that came out wrong. The idea might very well be the best route to go. It's just that over the past 25 years or so I have seen many attempts to save a dollar that cost a buck and a half to do lol.    Here are my two cents. If you have a slab and you want to pour on top of it while keeping the same footprint that sounds pretty doable and could probably save some money if you don't have to change drain lines, run water, heat runs, electrical etc into the slab.   If you intend to tie into the existing slab and run zones of pex across the joint and have the new and old floors end up at the same elevation it still can be done. Some contractors will not want to mess with tying into and raising the elevation of the slabs and will prefer to start from scratch especially if you as the homeowner want them to warranty the finished product.  The critical thing would be to use enough rebar drilled into the old slab and have enough compaction and sufficient footings to make sure the slabs stay where they are without settling. That would make all kinds of problems with the pex.    Hopefully that response came across better.
    • It'll be interesting to see if the team plays a little harder in front of a different goalie. 
    • Hawg, I'm with you on this one !
    • Check and see if you have a video output on you device. You may be able to record to a digital device.
    • Just use plain old spray paint in a can. I've done it many many times and seems to stick really nice. Nothing special either I can't even tell you the brand because I have no clue. But as mentioned doing 2-3 light coats helps.
    • no expert here, but heat doesn't rise. heat radiates in the direction of least resistance (R value). warm air or water rises because it is less dense than colder air or water.  If you don't insulate you will be heating the ground under your cabin and the earth is a very large heat sink $$$. get some info from an expert in the radiant field as far as tube diameter, spacing, water temp, manifolds, length of runs, and so on. it varies on amount of windows (solar) ceiling height and room type (bed, bath, living area,  storage etc.). once you pour over the tubing you get to live with it. I did my own Home 15 years ago and got some good advise (wish I would have taken it all)
    • Sonar works from above, cameras need to be submerged. What am I missing here?
  • Our Sponsors