• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to purchase a shotgun?

ditchparrotspreferred

I have the itch to get me a shotgun. However, I sense my "need" is based on emotion, not intelligence. Am I better off waiting until the end of the season or after the holidays and hoping for either a drop in price or some sale? I saw the Cabela's promotion and was very tempted, but they seem to run something like that every few months. Is purchasing a shotgun the week before opener like buying a convertible on the first warm day of spring?

I read the post about the suggested semi-auto's and I am considering a Franchi I-12, Benelli M2 and a Winchester SX3. I have heard too many negatives about the Franchi semi-auto, and almost zero negative about the M2. I can't justify the extra $$ for 3 1/2" shells. I'd love some comment on both topics - anyone else in my shoes?

Mike

Unlike a covertable, a shotgun should last you your whole life.

If getting a new gun to use this fall would bring a smile to your face-go for it! I was hoping to buy a new shotgun this spring but spent all my money on bills frown

Given the price of shells these days I'd pass on the 3 1/2" capability unless you plan on chasing lots of geese-even then you can knock them down w/ 3 inch and steel alternatives.

redhooks

Go ahead and get that gun now so you can use it. Prices really aren't going to drop all that much after season if at all. Don't skimp out at all. If you have that one gun that you think is absolutely SWEET then get it. Like my old man use to say, buy what you want and nothing else. That way you won't be disappointed in the long run. If you can't afford it, then wait until you can.

M2 and the X3 are both great guns. I shoot a SBEII and my wife has an X2. I like the feel of the X3's a little more the the X2's. I love my SBE however and if I was going to buy another gun, that's what I'd get.

If you don't do a lot of goose hunting and/or Turkey hunting a 3" chambered gun will be just fine. The 3 1/2 is nice for some duck hunting applications, goose hunting and Turkey hunting. Not needed mind you, but nice. Whatever your choice, make sure it is with a firearm that fits you.

I hope you are happy, all this talk about a new shotgun got me shopping again. I now have semi auto 20 ga. on my brain........I even started doing research and web searches on pricing.....last thing I need is another shotgun, ah but what if I replaced my 870.........to top it all off, the bride and kids are heading out of town next weekend, so I wouldn't have to worry about sneaking a new shotgun in the house either.....

gotta think of something else.......a 16 ga. maybe?????

Seriously, get the gun now, don't wait..........

My advice to you is to take my advice!

Anyday is a good day to buy a gun

Never, ever trade a gun for another gun. As soon as you trade one off, you'll miss it like you missed your first automobile.

I tell my wife I'll only buy two more guns: The NEXT one, and the LAST one.

(Yes, I have a lot of fireams):)

Dude really i mean I love guns but dont believe all this gun toting hype. Ive bought at least 6 shotguns in the last four years and can tell u that without a doubt wait a few months. Gander, Cabelas, Dick's and some other small shops have great deals around x mas. They offer rebates and all lot of times guns are like 50 to 100 dollers off during theese specials. Personally i would never buy a used gun, even though guns are pretty hardy and are a good second hand buy but still thats just me. For a first shotgun i would just buy a mossberg 500, or 835. If u think u wont something better just sell it cut your loses and buy a remington 870 express. Or if u are smart just buy the remington 870 express right off the bat. I garuntee it is the only shotgun u will ever need for the rest of your life period. I know alot of u bennelli big money humbuggers will obviously disagree but you guys have your bennelies thats fine i do anything u can do with my pump 870 garunteed. Listen do not buy and autamatic shotgun i have 4 of them and all they do is collect dust. Pumps are the real deal. I am a gun fanatic myself but i am a realistic down to earth guy who is giving u the best gun advice u will ever recieve mark my words. wait tell x mas buy the 870, save money and beat the heck oughta that gun and just try to break it, good luck

I had an 870 Wingmaster for about 12 years, and that was at least 10 years ago. It did break, turned into a single shot, and I took it to three Remington certified gunsmiths, and it never got right - I used to love that thing, and said the same thing about pumps. Then I got a Gold auto. I will never take a pump over an auto, and I still think 870s are great guns - have a 20 ga and a 12 ga that I just inherited from my Dad, another Wingmaster, his never had a problem in about 35 years now.

But.... the auto does allow you to shoot faster, if that is what you want. But that is not why I like it. It keeps you on track better for that second and third shot. It has made my second shot a heck of a lot better, whether from a miss on first shot, or picking out the second bird. I still love the 870, but I am the one person in the world who has had a serious issue with a 870, and I used it alot but never did anything too funky to it - I think it was the shell carrier, as it wouldn't lift the second shell into the chamber, but it only did this after a shell was fired, you could cycle unspent shells through all day long with no issue.

Anyway, just go pick up many guns and one will fit you best. I liked the Gold because it fit just like my old 870. But it works better wink good luck!

I have been shooting an 870 for almost 20 years. I feel that it is time for an upgrade. I love the 870 pump, don't get me wrong, it is a worthy weapon to say the least. I just want to move into a newer weapon and it is time for a semi-auto...

I will be purchasing a gun at some point, I just wanted input as to a good time to buy one since I have not purchased a gun for several years.

How about this question - I think the Franchi I-12 looks good and seems to fit my eye, but so, too, does the M2 by Benelli. Who out there has purchased either of them and have you had good or bad luck with the gun? I've heard mixed results with the I-12, but the price is way more appealing than the $1200 for the M-2. And, it has the same inertia system...

This will be a waterfowl gun almost exclusively, and a backup for the field, as I have a pheasant gun. My price range is ideally around a grand, but I just want to get the most for my dollar.

Comments/thoughts are always appreciated.

Ditch

first of all i hammer sporting clays better then most of the guys at the range shooting autos, No JOKE. now if thats what u want go with an rem 1100, period. ah im leaving this post with my head down in shame, whats the world commin to, cell phones and internet, semi autos and double cowgirls, meth and crack, bush and chenny, american idol and the ef'n list goes on. anyways bgood luck on the purchase and just rember my previous advice someday u may understand.