• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winterizing suzuki four stroke outboard

JScott

I just got a new suzuki fourstroke (50hp) for the pontoon in mid-august and will be winterizing it for the first time this weekend. I have winterized my other two stroke outboards for years so I know how to do it.

I always use Stabil in my gas and unhook the fuel line while its running and just let it run out of gas before fogging the cylinders.

Someone recently told me that you are not supposed to let the fuel run out on a four stroke by unhooking the gas line as I have always done on my two strokes. Any advice on this?

I've heard of people leaving fuel in the carbs and not leaving fuel in the carbs, as long as the gas is stabilized by some manner.

The only concern I would have on any carb is drying out the seals by leaving them dry over the winter, but this wouldn't be any different for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke.

marine_man

In my manual for a DF90 (90hp suzuki 4-stroke) it explains to run the engine at idle for 15 minutes to cycle the fuel stabilizer. Next spray the fogging oil in the air intake port on the side until the engine smokes while at idle, and then shut it down. After stopping the motor you're supposed to remove the plugs and spray fogging oil in each cylinder and turn the the motor over by hand. (I just turn the key with the kill switch removed). Don't forget to replace the oil, oil filter, and gear oil. According the the manual you don't have to drain it.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I can do pretty much like I always do with this motor. I left the owners manual at the cabin so I thought I'd put it out here so I could prepare myself if I needed anything special.

As always, a very helpful site!