• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What lies beneath...

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Took the morning off to go fishing. We were drifting along the deep edge of a shoreline break that went from about 3 feet to about 9 feet deep. I thought I had a snag, but ended up doing battle with a monster!

I fought it for close to 10 min until it straighten out the hook on my twister tail jig spinner rig. Bummer! We never got a look, but it swirled the water twice, went under the boat three times and peeled a lot of line off my reel. I had all I could to hold on to the rod!

I haven't had a fight like this since I caught a nice salmon off the pier in Lake Michigan. I'm assuming it was a BIG northern. If it was a bass, it would have been a real trophy!

We may be missing the obvious here... There are a ton of HUGE carp out there. Last year I was casting a DT10 on a deep weed edge for bass. Hooked a 18.9 lb carp in the dorsal fin. That fight lasted about 10 min on med heavy tackle, bait caster, and 40 lb power pro. There are a lot of carp that get hooked and not seen. As far as a pike straightening out a hook... far more likely to bite off line as opposed to brute strength, deep long runs of a carp... they will straighten a hook.

If it's Minnetonka then it could also have been a muskie. I know they'll straighten out the hooks of your average jig like it were a wet noodle. I've had both pike and ski's shear smaller hooks right off, straightening one out would be a much easier task. I do know carp and catfish are both great fighters, so it's possible. I generally fish a region where neither are present so I didn't give it much thought.