• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent? Attractants?

bigsandynorth1

Wondering what other people do this early in the season. I always wash my clothes in scent control and then put my clothes in a container and use scent wafers. Does anyone use attractents this early in the year such as doe in heat or other stuff to attract bucks?

Also, I bought a bow holder. Does anyone use these?

Can't wait for Saturday, get the coffee going around 5am and hit the trail!

I don't get carried away with scent wafers but I did take in a little bit of advice from some others on another post about using baking soda in your bag that you keep your hunting clothes in.

Every ladderstand that I put up has a bow holder mounted on the seat were I sit. There cheap and nice to hang other things on them while in the stand. You can get them at any wally world store.

mr

I try to wash my clothes before the season and then let them sit outside for a few days before the opener. Usually I will place my clothes in a bag overnight with some leaves and ground type material in the bag to place that scent in the clothing.

Then play the wind right and one should be good to go.

As far as the bow holder goes, I use to have one that would attach to my platform of my stand. I typically like to keep my bow in my hands and ready to go so I have the least amount of movement before I get ready to draw back on a deer.

I realize that many do use the holder but this is just what works for me. I have found from my expierence over the years that the least amount of movement when there are deer close, the better.

Sometimes its best to smell like nothing at all.

I will say however, I used "Hot Musk" one early season, by spraying it on some leaves of a small sapling. I had a mature buck in full velvet come down the trail and rake that thing! I choked. Then seconds later another out-of-velvet buck came and also beat the tree up! I choked again. It was really neat.... but overall, not a good day frown

I was all my clothes in scent eliminated soap and keep them in a bag, shower before hunts whenever possibly. I even spray down my truck seat with scent killer and dress once I get to my hunting location and of course play the wind.

I haven't used any type of buck or doe scents for years now, they work on the younger deer but I feel a mature bucks nose is too smart for that.

I agree with Bear55. Use plenty of scent killer and try not to touch anything on the walk in. I don't use scents anymore except during the rut when their guard is down. Like Bear said, the mature bucks are too smart. But I usually try to sit on established runways or ambush spots where I don't need to lure them in.