• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Harley Crossbones

Gissert

At long last, I am beginning the process to get my first Harley.

So far it looks like it will be a softtail, though there are a couple of dynas that have my attention too.

#1 in the running right now is the Crossbones.

Does anyone have one, or have thoughts about one?

I dont have a crossbones but I do have a 97 heritage springer with the old evo motor ,,,One thing I really notice is the braking on the springer front end is way different then on my flhtci,,,I have considered selling the electra glide but it has never crossed my mind to sell the springer

I too will be making a purchase of a HD in the next 12 months. Yeah I know it sounds like a long time but it will be here before i know it. I am looking on the touring side. My reasons are this, Windsheild/fairing, bags, comfort for day and longer trips of 500 miles, comfort for my wife!!! I now have a metric cruiser, that does not have any of the abouve listed and I can tell you this I will never own another bike with 2 things.... windsheild or bags!!! Just my 2 cents. But for the record the crossbones is awesome!!!!

Here goes guys. Some may dissagree, but I have been riding a Harley of one kind or another since 1968. Had 5 at one time back in the late 1990's. Any Softtail, is for looks and not comfort and handleing. In my opinion the should be outlawed. If you want a Touring model go with the FLHR. If you want sport touring The FXR, or Dyna is your best bet, unless you want the Sportster, which the only way there is the 1200.

Softtails, which include Fat Boys, Springer, and all Heritage models have very little travel in the rear shock and bottom out and ar mushy. They drift easily and are prone to scraping on turns.

Oh, and one big thing, Dyna's are cheaper. If you want a used on get the FXDX, Dyna Super Glide Sport. You will love it!

I was a big fan of the Dana Wide Glide, now they are dropping it. I suppose I could go used if I can find one I like.

I don't really want a bagger, but I do like the Road King. Another buddy has an Electra Glide which is also nice, but not for me.

I still might go with something in a Dyna chassis, but I just love the look of the Crossbones. I am hung up on the looks for sure.

Ive spent some time on my neighbors Softail Custom, and I dont mind the ride or the handling. I have ridden some other softies that did feel really slushy like you mention. For ripping around and having fun, I still have my 1977 RD400.

As far as Sporties go, I have taken a hard look at some of the Nightsters - I like them.

Having both a heritage springer and an electra glide classic now,,, but if I had to get only one bike it would have to be a road king of some sort ,,,the springer is nice for boulivard cruising and the glide for the long hiway trips ,,,so the better all around bike IMO would be a road king ,,,,I dont like the bikes with the skinnier front tire as I want more rubber on the pavement when I have to hit the brakes

,,JMTC

LAS

I would have to agree, I purchased a 08 Road King Classic, I just love it.Put different mufflers and a detachable back rest.Great bike for the money!! I also love the look old fashion with the fat whitewall yet lots of chrome.

Any Softtail, is for looks and not comfort and handleing. In my opinion they should be outlawed.

Yep, and they sure look good gringrin I dont know I have had a few different bikes touring and softail and I like the low seat of the softail, can sit flat footed ,easy parking lot handling and for what most people use harleys for the softail works fine. If you want to be aggresive and push corners and run fast its not the bike you are going to do it on if you have half a brain. Outlawed crazy some kind of liberal huh, big gov. should pass laws to save me from myself? want my guns too? Come on and try to get em smirk

You should decide first what you're going to do with the bike. Are you going to tool around town and some backroad riding? Are you gonna ride to Sturgis? Do you want to impress the girls? You got to decide and then look at the bikes. I started out with a softail deuce and know have it and a bagger. I would rather ride the deuce but the e-glide is so comfortable. Make your decision and then buy the bike. Don't invest in a $15-20,000 bike and be wishing you had gotten something else. Good Luck with your purchase and congrats on joining the harley family.