• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New cedar deck - what to seal with?

BoxMN

Hi all,

I searched the archives, and got some good info. But most of that was for redoing a deck, not starting from scratch. I want to try to avoid pitfalls.

I thought we were going with PT, but contractor told me the cedar is not much more cost, and it won't cup and curl and twist like PT. Fine, it looks nice, and fits the budget - not a fancy deck, and no fancy stairs, just 12x24 with 12x12 of it covered with gable roof.

He said Sikkens is the way, and while I don't doubt him, I really don't want to use any stain-type product, as I don't want this to be a big project every few years. I just want to seal it, and I don't care if it turns gray, or whatever. I know Trex or other is possibility, but not going to use it.

Soooo... what would you guys who have Cedar or install or treat decks use right from the start? is there Sikkens without pigment or "color"?

Deck is on east side of the house, if that matters, and will get lots of sun until afternoon.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Stop in a sherwin williams or a hirshfields and talk to a dude. I went in when looking for something for my cedar fence and foudn out a lot of good information on products. However all the info he gave me was about stain products and not sealers. But i'm sure they have different levels of quality products you can choose from.

On our old house cedar deck, i just used olympic sealer and that worked for about 2 years before it discolored.

Going with cedar you are going to be doing something to the deck every 2-5 years, 5 years if you're lucky. I would go with Sikkens. I have heard great things about it and about how well it holds up. My 2 cents.

Thanks all. I guess this will be the only exterior thing that needs maintenance on the place, and it isn't that elaborate, so it won't be too bad. I just hate the stain, and will go with more sealer and I don't care about the fading to gray, just keep it healthy and water proof, I guess.

Thanks again.

I also agree that letting it weather a year is the first step.

I would STRONGLY disagree with the Sickens recomendation. Lets just say it is all in the name. In 14 years of painting/staining I have never been sicker as when I first used sickens. I use full resporator when I use it now, even outside.

If you want clear, get a clear, Thompsons or boiled linsead oil will give you good finish and life.

I like Flood CWF over cedar but would use that later on.

Thompsons water sealer will seal your deck and not change the appearance at all. Yes you'll have to reapply ever year but its simple. If you do that and a use a deck wash before, the cedar will look fresh for a long time.

Once it becomes weathered I'd then use a transparent penetrating stain but first a deck wash. This will not build up on the surface and later peel. It will only add a tint allowing the wood grain to show though while giving a water proof protection.

I've belt sanded the Sikkens off my deck twice and been thru a number of other treatments, they all suck. Put on plastic and be done with it! if that isnt in the budget use a solid stain and call it good unless you and your paint brush want to be out there every other year ...just my experienced opinion for what it is worth