• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training the Owner and the Dog

Tom7227

Saturday I went to pick up my dog at Willow Creek Kennels in Little Falls. Chad and Jodi Hines asked that I spend 3 hours with them. I've had other dogs trained elsewhere but never had this sort of request before. It was a haul from the Twin Cities and so I hadn't been up there at all while the dog was being trained.

Shortly after I got there I learned that the time was going to be spent training the owners. I quickly decided to let the other two groups go ahead of me and I just sat back and watched. I was able to learn a lot just watching Chad deal with the folks. This wasn't just the 10 minute show time making sure folks saw the improvement in their animal. Chad would show and tell them what to do, and after a while ask them to do it. As they made mistakes he gently coached them along. His patience was limitless. Of course when it was my turn things went flawlessly - after he spent about a half hour re-programming me that is.

The experience showed me the importance of getting the owner tuned up. That probably is more important that most of the work they do with the dogs. Obviously I am endorsing their operation, and suggest to others that you try and make sure you get some time with the trainer when they're done with your dog.

Tom7227,

That is nice to hear. I just dropped my dog off at Willow Creek on Saturday. Chad spent an hour just talking with me to make sure he knew exactly what type of training I desired. I can't wait to see the results and I hope he can train me as well.

Machohorn, You have an excellent lab trainer in your back yard. Have you checked with Tim Landecker? Myself and my brothers have had our dogs trained by him. Tim does an excellent job. email me if you want his info. [YouNeedAuthorization] at hcinet.net

For me, I have a 3 year old wirehaired pointing griffon that I have at Willow Creek right now. He needs some duck work and tracking / cripple recovery work. I have also asked Chad to assess him on how much work would be needed to get him to the NAVHDA UT level. Overall, bring out any potential that I have been unsuccessful with.

I know he has retriever and pointer training programs.

Cooper is a 1 year old Brit that went for 2 months of basic pointer training. The have a set up where they release a couple dozen pheasants and then let the dogs work them. When the bird flushes a blank is fired. The key is something I've never seen - wire funnels in the pen that allow the birds to get back into the pen. I never knew pheasants will do that.

I am sending my german shorthair there in September. one of the guys I work with recommended them to me, he takes his dogs there and has nothing but good things to say about them. I spent a good 15 minutes talking to Jodi today and I was very happy with her attitude and how knowledgeable she was. I cant wait to see how my dog turns out.