• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rib Recipe

Never cooked moose, so don't know if there would be a difference. For rubs, I like jalapeno salt, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and whatever else you can think of. The sky is the limit in the rub. Leave on overnight and get them in the smoker. Couple of hours at low temp/high smoke. Get them in the oven at @ 300 for two to three hours (wrapped tight in foil, then placed in a roaster). Remove when the meat is just about ready to fall off the bone and finish them on the grill, just to crisp them up. This is for pork, but I imagine moose would be somewhat similar. These ribs are very, very tender and that is how I like them. If you like them a little more chewy, lessen the oven time or disregard it all together. Just finish off on the grill.

I serve my ribs "naked". Like all things, you just don't want to over-smoke. For wood, hickory is a winner and so is apple. Pecan is nice if you can get it. Have fun and let us know how they turned out.

I did ribs last weekend for about 15 people. The night before I cut them in serving sizes. Then put them in boiling water for about an hour or until they were ready to fall off the bone. I also put some Liquid smoke and seasoning in with the water. Then let them cool and put them in a plastic bag with Famous Daves Rich and Sassy and into the frig. The next night I took them out about half hour before to get them to room temp. Then put them on the grill at medium heat. Flipped once just to darken the sauce. Then served and listed to the compliments

Can't help you with the rub....but I can assist with the cooking!

Use a 3-2-1 method when you smoke ribs. Peel off membrane and place on smoker bone side down.

I smoke my ribs at 225-230* Smoke for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark wrap them in aluminum foil for 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, remove from aluminum foil and place back in the smoke for 1 hour. During that last hour, I spread my homemade bbq sauce..you will see the meat begin to pull from the end of the bone.

GOOD LUCK!

My guess would be to wrap in foil, then throw back in the smoker. It's probably to not over-smoke them directly. Just my guess though!

I'm doing some right now. I do mine a little different, since I don't have a smoker. I put the rub on mine and let them sit overnight in the fridge. Then I put them in a big disposable tin pan (bone side down). I fill the bottom of the pan with liquid, usually water, and put foil on top. I cook them on the grill at around 250 or so for 3 hours indirectly in the pan. (This can all be done in the oven too, it's just precooking them). Then I take them out and BBQ sauce them up for 30 minutes or so on the top rack of the grill. I make sure to keep them wet with bbq sauce, so you don't get that burnt bbq sauce flavor.

The last time I did this, they were falling right off the bone, literally.

Spice Rub Ingredients (per slab)

1 Tbs onion powder

1 Tbs granulated sugar

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp non-iodized salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp cumin

Consider the cayenne pepper optional; the more delicate palates may not care for the extra spiciness...

You definately don't need a smoker to get some great ribs. Some of my favorite restaraunts don't smoke theirs. One thing I forgot, my main ingredient is brown sugar. A handful of that combined with the spicy things really makes it interesting. I stole that idea from the rib cookoffs on t.v.

Sorry it took so long to get back but yes keep them on the smoker during that entire 6 hour period. I like to use mesquite wood because you get a strong smokey flavor. MMMMM!!!!!

I'm going to do some pork spares this week....I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Be careful about what you put on your ribs during the cooking process....sugary substances burn very easily.

Doop,

You don't use brown sugar in your rubs? Makes sense that it would burn. I just use very little heat in mine, so never noticed the burned sugar. What do you use for rubs? I have seen your pics before and they are special. Still doing the smoked eggs?

Those smoked eggs led to some of the worst gas I've ever had! lol

So yes...still doing the smoked eggs much to the chagrin of my wife! My very first batch of ribs...during the last hour of the smoking process...I used a very sugary BBQ sauce and the sauce carmalized more than what I wanted. The temp got a little high on my too. So now I make my own BBQ sauce smile

I use a rub produced by a guy down here in Texas. TexasBBQrub search on google will get you to the HSOforum I believe. It's awesome stuff. I use the very same rub on my scrambled eggs in the morning....there isn't much it doesn't go well with!