• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need to think less and fish more

HugoBox

This year for me has been good so far. We've already put more fish in the boat than any previous year (probably not much by some standards but good for a weekend hack. That said I was recently on Bald Eagle, where I fish a lot and have had success, and unbenounced to me someone moved all the fish and wrecked my lures and screwed up the whole works. At least I'd like to think I can blame "someone". I sat and stared at the GPS and map and tried to think my way to a fish. The conditions were tough and I wasted time that I could have spent fishing more and faster (Windel style). What are your thoughts - do you fish harder or think more? I still just do this for fun and may leave the thinking for smart folk...

How much time did you spend thinking?

Timing is everything....Right?

If the fish werent moving and you felt "it wasn't Happening"

then I do not blame you a bit for thrying to think yourself to a fish.

But if you were in "prime time" hours of the day, say like

7pm to Sunset, I would have been fishing!

Just my opinion.

Best of Luck!

Brian K

www.kaisertail.com

If your line is not in the water you will never catch a thing. I would do my planning at home and have some spots planned out before I ever hit the water. Trust your instincts and get your lure back in the water.

Like hockey, if you ain't shooting, you ain't scoring. Even if 3/4 of those never hit the net.

I've seen you fish, you think too much smile You know your spots, just plan out your milkrun, maybe add in one new spot per outing, and if you don't get any takers in the first run, then park it for the night. If you do, go back and hit em again.

That's my take, but you never know, as that one on FL you got was the last ten minutes of our trip... so planning is futile sometimes, just need to keep casting (funny, that coming from me, huh?) wink

Quote:
Like hockey, if you ain't shooting, you ain't scoring. Even if 3/4 of those never hit the net.

Liking the hockey reference! Brett Hull scored 60 goals because he led the NHL in shots taken!

Stack the odds in your favor, apply what you know, and if it doesn't work, try something different. Read the post from Tim Anderson about fishing in the wind. Guy fishes for a living, but mixed it up Sunday due to weather and tried something he said he's not done before....a 7 mile drift basically. Boated three fish, not a bad day!

Let me ask this of Hugo and all: do you keep records of what you did? Lures, weather, water temps conditions? I don't and I should, it'll help with the thinking less and applying more point.

Box if you are anything now like you were 15 years ago I doubt you do any thinking at all. haha

IMHO thinking can be and will be the demise (sp?) of a Musky fisherman, what's the point, these are the top predators in the lake, they play by their rules. Guides fish everyday and even they complain about not being able to pattern the cycle. Like someone else said no line in the water no chance at catching fish. Just go with you gut instinct when you get on the water and work it, I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

or i had one beer to many this evening and i should be completely ignored.

RU

Erik, just remember it's supposed to be fun. Tonight was a rough night for me as far as muskies go, but after a little while I calmed down and enjoyed one of the most beautiful evenings on the water yet this year. Warm, great sunset, calm lake, minimal bugs and not many boats. Even went for a swim to cool down, it was great! Snuck up on a loon too and got really close watching him fish, awesome birds.

I'm on quite an even keel even though I lost two pretty good fish, trying to get the whole experience. I'm trying to be sure and enjoy the fishing and wildlife around me as much as the catching, otherwise I don't think I could handle living in the city. I fish the metro because I live here and it's the best thing the twin cities have to offer IMO.

Keep in mind also, it's a very oddball year in regards to weather and many other factors.

Little trick I do is new water once per week. To not become complacent with habits and procedures, I fish a new part of the lake or a totally different approach just to give a change of scenery etc. Helps keep that learning perspective within reach.

(sorry for the novel!)

-Jeff

I don't know about you guys but I think there is too much information out there that conflicts with other information. I had a subscription to a musky magazine and have bought a couple of books...and while they have a lot of great information/ideas it can get overwhelming. Some guys say cover as much water as possible burning bucktails, some guys say fish a spot really thoroughly. Some people swear by the wind, some people say it's overrated. Some guys even say that some colors work better than others.

I've been trying to take each into account. I usually start with I've had success with in the past - for a few hours, and when that's not working I try something different I've read about.

Let me ask this of Hugo and all: do you keep records of what you did? Lures, weather, water temps conditions? I don't and I should, it'll help with the thinking less and applying more point.

I sort of do if that's an anwswer. I've noted every fish over 36" that we can remember with lure type, lake, basic location, and basic weather if possible. I haven't caught enough fish for it to be of much value yet. That said, this year I've begun to put a waypoint in each time I see a fish, have a follow, strike, or boat a fish. Not so much because I think I'm going to go back and get them again, but so I can try to see the types of areas they tend to be. There is one midlake flat I fish a lot and at least this year all the fish moved or cuaght have been off of two corners of it. I'll still work the whole area, but I slow the boat a bit in these spots. Jredig makes a good point though about fishing new water and new spots. I need to do that more. RU - you're right on about me not being able to think much. When do I get a ride in the new rig? Post a picture of it.

Quote:
I don't know about you guys but I think there is too much information out there that conflicts with other information.

aint that the truth? weeds, points, top water, dirty water, WTD, it's endless. i have a saying... a muskie will always be in the same exact spot as an 800 pound gorilla....where ever it wants.

sure i'm trying to be humorous, keyword ''trying'', but they are where ever they want to be on a body of water. think of where you caght all your muskies. i would bet they were around different types of areas. mabe a point for ten, or 1 near cabbage in 14 feet on a clear lake. or 20 in three feet on top of a sand bar, 5 on a rocky cliff, who knows.

if i cast a lure i believe there could be a fish there. mainly because maybe there is. key is cast. have to cast, but at the same time i'm thinking about my next move because i don't need to think about the one i'm doing right then because i'm doing it. no need, just fish. i get a follow or other sign of one then it's time to use plan B i had in mind if that happened. anyway, cast and think what your next move is that's my advice. also if you happen to see an 800 pound gorilla fishing. let him have that spot, find another. maybe even another lake. i know i know, stop trying. smile

Hockey was weak back then!!!!!! Goaltenders are much better today, defence is better today, and the offense side is explosive today but no one is never gonna break Gretzky's records! Crosby, not even close. whistle

ok back to muskies. grin

LOL Quack... I dont think so... With all those oversized pads n gloves the goalies use today... Tretiak, Fuhr, Roy, Smith, Dryden, Luit, Barrasso all put today's goalies to SHAME (with exception of Brodeur)... If its true about the offensive being so explosive... how come we havent seen anybody knocking on the door of Gretzky's single season points record (215pts)??? Let alone the fact that Gretzky did it 4 times... (215, 212, 208, and 205)... Closest was Mario Lemieux (199)... Like I told you... NHL just doesnt do it for me anymore since Gretzky retired... basically the ERA went with Gretzky... I think the explosive crossed over from NHL to the High School level... which excites me way more... but I agree... back to muskies grin

No records- better goalies, more scorers on one team than just one player or two who would score 80% of teams goals or whatever the percentage is!!

Hockey today is less chippy than the past, more skilled, and smarter. And yet there's still a few goons in the game. This should be moved in the hockey forums haha

Yeah it should be moved to hockey forum but blame it on CJAC hes the one who started it by using Brett Hull as an example...

Oh nooo... look at the Dynasties in 1970s and 1980s... Montreal Canadiens... New York Islanders... and Edmonton Oilers (I know they didnt win in 1986 but still 5 cups from 1984 to 1990... All had plenty of Hall of Famers on those teams... 1990's and 2000's failed to produce Dynasties although there were two teams that won the Cup twice in a row in the 1990's... but that's it...

Quote:
look at the Dynasties in 1970s and 1980s

What does this have to do with Gretzky's records or Hulls 60 goal season?

Who needs dynasties, we dont need em, not exciting; at least for me...it gets old when the same team wins for a few years straight. These were the teams who could afford to keep the good players they needed to win it all and they wanted to stay til they didnt win anymore and players decided to leave or got traded. Its like the Yankees getting everyone they could afford and they started not winning the World Sries and players signed for different teams instead playing for the pinstripes.

The only good thing that happened in hockey in the 80s was the 1980 USA olympic team that won the Gold Lake Placid!!!!

I rest my case. wink

Quote:
The only good thing that happened in hockey in the 80s was the 1980 USA olympic team that won the Gold Lake Placid!!!!

I rest my case.

Pretty good case!!

I just want to catch an old-school 80's stocked muskie!

Good case, Quack, but... its always FUN watching big UPSETS such as the Miracle on Ice... Man... hard to imagine... I was only 3 years old at that time... and you werent even born... LOL... So you see... we do need dynasties... gives those underdogs something to look forward to... and gives us common people something to cheer for!!!

CJAC... old-school 80's muskie... she'd be a MONSTER by now... if shes still alive... probably is... the patriatch of the water...

Quote:
CJAC... old-school 80's muskie... she'd be a MONSTER by now... if shes still alive... probably is... the patriatch of the water...

Talked to Steve Jonesi last night; he put a client on one of the old brown Wisconsin strain muskies on Wednesday on Mille Lacs. 56.5x25! The LGG/800 formulas and such lose a bit of the accuracy once the length gets up there, but probably an upper 40lb fish. She slurped a DCG, went airborn twice, and hit the net. Mille has been a tough bite but the fish, when they're there, they are BIG!

Can you imagine what she looks like come late October??? Yikes.....

I talked to Steve too, sounds like it was a fish that Luke caught last year too. And it was caught in the feeding window around almost-full moon rise/sunset...always seems to go that way up there.

Pretty impressive for a couple West Virginia Mountaineer boys too!

I have a day with Steve booked for the 4th year in a row. Sure, I know Mille quite well enough and am equipped to do it on my own as I often do, but it's just different with a guide out there. Rather than me guessing, he's been on the water all summer. Taking my Godson for his 17th and Golden birthday, a thrill for him, and for me another day with a fun and funny guy!

I can't tell ya how many "Jonesi" quotes I have! Yeeeaaaaahhhh..... (one right there), he's put up a few good catches the last couple years!

Oh yeah... Steve's a top-notch guy... I got him booked for Oct 14th... thats awesome!!!

Wonder if that 56x25 is the famous "SHE" Steve keeps talking about??? like "I know where SHE lives"...