• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much is too much?

Doop

I know it obviously depends on your income...but how much is too much for you guys to pay for a Canadian fishing trip?

I mean...my wife and I make decent money...it would take me a couple years to pay for some of the rates that lodges are asking now days. More power to them...because some people are willing to pay whatever to fish where ever.

It's already too much for me. Gas is killing me. I've been fishing within 30 minutes of the Metro and mostly hit the Croix. Would love to go to Canada but I have more things that need to be done with the kind of money it costs to head up there.

I guess I don't worry about it anymore and just pay, you can't put a price on things you love to do. So IMO you can't put a price on fishing or hunting lol. But whom am I to talk, im single and young so I can get away with alot of stuff that if I was married and had a family and mortgage I couldn't get away with otherwise. Plus if you have someone to go fishing with to split the gas costs it isnt all that much.

How much is too much... walleye, nice northerns and maybe smallies. I would say $500 if you bring some buddies, otherwise I would plan a trip closr to home. I just went on a salmon trip on lake Michigan for $350 and had a blast. That included a guide and a place to stay. I didn't pay for any gas though, which was really nice, but another $100 would have more that covered that.

I leave for canada on the 18th, this will be my 4th year and it has not cost us more then 1,000.00 ea. for a 7 day trip thats pulling boats food and drink. I would say 1500.00 would make me think twice maybe 3 times. I don't know anywhere else you can go and boat 100 eyes a day.

i have some friends that went way up into manitoba. nelson river, they tented on an island. no motels etc, gas food and drink, cost them $800.00. to each his own as far as idea of cost.if its worth it or not.

I assume you are considering a trip to northwest Ontario. I think a $1000 for a week is not unreasonable. That would include a cabin for 7 nights and fishing on a really good lake like Lake of the Woods, Rainy or many others. Another $500 to $700 for gas, bait and other incidentals should just about cover it. You are going to eat no matter where you are so, food doesn't add much to the cost. That comes to $1,700 for great week of fishing for two people. Not bad in my book.

Been going up north of Sioux Lookout every June since 2001. We spend four days of fishing, 8 guys. We drive up and bring our own boats and gear at 2 guys per boat. That's four trucks and four boats. I get paid biweekly and each payday I set aside $25 for the trip, which so far has been more than enough.

In 2001 the trip cost me roughly $425. Last year it cost me about $565. This year it cost me about $535. We shaved cost this year by putting three guys per boat so we eliminated one boat and one truck. The fuel savings offset the higher cost. We also shaved nearly $150 off of our grocery bill by changing our menu.

I figure it's been pretty reasonable for us so far.

Bob

I think it depends on how you look at it.

On one hand, someone like me spends a fair amount on rods, tackle, line, boat, gas, truck, new lures, magazines, and on and on and on.

$1000 for canada trip is alot of money.

Now, the other guy. One spinning rod and reel, a handful of jigs, a coupe of lures, some mediocre rain gear. 50 walleyes a day for 7 days. Maybe the only fishing you do all year.

$1000 seems pretty cheap.

Hard to say which way is right.