• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Locator ping

hitthebricks

My opinion - fish live their whole lives getting pinged by transducers, I don't think it has much affect on them. Maybe it does in shallow water, but then you've got the boat, motors, shadows, and other noise on top of them too.

I know some guys that fish the pond a lot and swear that once they get a bouy on the structure it's time to turn off the sonar and just fish, because they claim the ping can drive away the skidish fish.

I haven't givin it much of a shot yet so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

I don't know about that.

But I do know what a marker bouy on the pond attracts. wink j/k

I'd be more likely to use my GPS with countour mapping chip installed. I rarely use a marker anymore.

I'll be leaving mine on. I have had simuliar experience as Cliff has. laugh

There have actually been a number of studies done. Most relating to the commercial fishing industry and there is more of an issue attributed to propellor and other vessel noise than to the locator itself. I haven't seen anything on ice fishing and locator ping.

I know that when I fish tournaments and a few other guys and were in shallow water we shut it all off. we just have the gps on. I know that a few other guys that have done very well in tournaments shut them off or a few guys have flashers they say they have less power just to see what depth their at still. so does it affect fish I'd say it does.

I would also say that it does have an effect on the fish. ive had times jigging in the winter in shallower water where fish would come in and keep coming around but wouldnt bite. Shut off the vexi and BAM... fish on.