Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evinrude19

question about docks

12 posts in this topic

when do the bass tend to hold to docks the most? during spring summer or fall? and what time of the day cause i have got bass under docks all day sometimes and just want to know whens the best time to fish them so i can practice fishing deeper water when docks arent so good

thanks

zach

I am not a big fan of docks anytime of year; however I find them most productive from August on. I honestly think you're better off finding fish off the bank from mid-June to the end of September depending upon the body of water. But that's just me - give me a fistful of 1/8 oz mushroom heads and a couple bags of Mr. Twister Comidas and I can make hay off the bank.

I gnerally target docks at some point on nearly every fishing trip for at least a test run if it is sunny and bright as I think the primary benefit to bass they provide is shade followed by structure.

hey Ray

what do you mean by "bank"?

I start looking at docks the minute they go in the water. For tournament fishing I will always check docks pre-fishing. And if my plans fall apart... go to the docks. You can almost always find a few fish by dock knocking. Mid summer is usually good for dock running. I think the absolute best dock fishing is short lived and is during the late fall, once most of the docks are taken out for the upcoming winter, those few docks left can hold big fish.

I agree with Agape. I think you can alway catch some fish under the docks. I enjoy fishing docks with newbie to the bass fishing game. It shows them how much fun it is. I think you can catch fish year around on docks, its just a matter of find good sizes fish under them.

Ray, is talking about moving away from the banks, AKA bank of shore that you are fishing by. He is talking about getting out in deeper water and fishing weedlines, points, islands, etc.

o ok thanks any advice with baits i usually have a senko t-rigged but was wondering of some options

thanks

zach

Just about any plastics will work for dock fishing. You can also try fishing a senko wacky style with no weight. That is how i fish senkos 85% of the time

The hotter it gets, the more I look at docks. I think the rest of these guys are dead on that you can pull some fish off docks year around, but I think they get a lot better when the weather gets hot and the fish are looking for shade. Especially on lakes that are highly developed and lack much natural shore cover. I like a spinnerbait or a jig and pig to work dock edges and any fatter round bodied plastic for skipping underneath them; ie. a standard jig with a 4 inch grub, senko's rigged weedless or tubes rigged weedless with an internal weight.

Docks can be good from bass opener till the lake freezes over. As other have stated, they are not always the biggest fish, but usually a consistant pattern to find fish.

Tubes

Comida

Jigs

Spinnerbaits

Cranks

all good presentations around and under docks.

Fish them when the bass are trying to get out of the sun. I've found the hotter the better. Don't be affraid to get way back under them. You may brake off a few times but keep at it.

you all are right. Docks can be a huge ticket in fishing tournaments year around. Like Ray said, In mid summer, your going to find fish deep, there is goign to be some lakes that are always going to hold bass under them, but 80% of the time, there going to be in deep water. If you go out and fish it, and find them under docks, dont go aways from it. Like Wayne said, you can win tournaments under them. Docks can kick, but can also smoke you down as well. Have to be smart.