• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat shrink tubing

JoeTC

I want to pick up some shrink tubing to modify a couple of my baits but I'm not sure where to get it. Can I find it at hardware stores or home improvement stores? Or is there some place specific I need to go to to get some?

Thanks,

Joe

Luke and Rebel - is the stuff at Menards and Radio Shack the heavier version? I have used the lighter (thinner) stuff and while it works (maybe sags just a tad), it can get beat up easier. Let me know. Thanks

Also try auto parts stores. I got some at NAPA and it was low priced.

I think you'll find so many choices that you'll be able to find whatever you like - light, heavy, whenever.

Do most of you add shrink tubing to all pop-pop baits? I thought of using a rubber band on the front treble of a Jake and shrink tubing on the back to make it a bit easier to rip through weeds. Again I'm prolly thinking too muc - darn stormy weather.

Quote:
I thought of using a rubber band on the front treble of a Jake

mabe try a single hook instead of a treble. may have to go bigger for weight to be right or add some lead wire to the loop but it will rip better. single hooks hook just fine too. also give a fish less leverage to throw hooks. so don't let that deter you.

Quote:
if you need to use thin stuff double or triple it up. should be plenty thick that way. make the first one(s) shorter than the last for a nicer look, if your a neat nick like me.

i also put shrink tape on first then tubing for a nice stiff set-up.

just figured i'd throw this in too for the heck of it... just in case

ever had trouble getting that tubing over your split-ring or just have too small of tubing? well all you need do is spread it out with a needle nose pliers. just be carefull not to split it. it will shrink back after heating just fine, don't worry. heat gun won't leave black stuff on it either. wink