• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pedistal Seat Lure Holders

After snooping around in Thorne Bros for an hour today I had selected a few baits and got all my reels spooled up with Tufline XP Black and White and Cortland Bronzeback. Then I remembered I was going to check out those lure holders with the plastic tubes that are fused together which then go under your seat around the pedestal. Looked like a great idea and a nice way to keep your best baits easily accessible. Then I looked at the price tag... 34 bucks! I was trying to figure how it costs 34 bucks for a few plastic tubes fused into a circle. So now my question is, has anyone made one? And if you have I would appreciate a few tips. I am just wondering how I could attach all the plastic tubes and how much a few tubes would cost? I like the idea of the plastic tubes so they are see threw but if there was a large price difference I could settle with some pvc tubing.

Hope some of you have some ideas!

Ryan

Yup I made one, mine is made of PVC not acrylic tube, but the acrylic is available online if you do want to be able to see through them. I find no problem looking down into the tube to see my lures. 2" pvc is pretty cheap, some gorilla glue and you are in business.

Some places I've seen have those for $39.99 but I certainly see what you mean. Funny thing is that they will sell out of those everyone seems to say the same thig when they see them, "wow, thats sweet, how much? Jeeze, I could make that," they never do and then they buy one anyway after $10 bucks in gas to get back to the store.

Lakewood makes a small square box with a pedestal hole in it for I believe $79.99, quite a bit more for the money, but how much does someone really need?

There was a tread I believe last year on here that talked about the same thing, maybe someone can find the link for you.

I got my Lakewood one for $59, I have mixed feelings on it. I like having something there and it doesn't really get in the way, but it's very hard to see lures in there if your seat is low. I should probably put it under the front butt seat instead of the rear. That would be the smart thing to do, but that wouldn't be very typical of me.

Ok thanks guys. I will try to find some plastic or acrylic tubing at the home depot today if not I will just use some pvc. I was th8inking I could attach all the tubes with some acrylic caulking but if I am going to go the pvc route I think some glue will work better.

Thanks again, the more ideas the better!

Ryan

I have tried finding acrylic of that size all over in St Cloud and didn't find much. If I recall it was quite spendy and for a little more, no gas, no labor, it'll be done. I definitely agree at how easy it would be to make. I have two tubes in my boat and love them! A great place to dry out bucktails before you put them back in that cheap Lakewood wink

well I got the 3" pvc pipe and cut a 10' piece which i got at Home Depot for 10 bucks into 11.75" pieces (11.75 so you can compensate for what the saw removes) I lined them up around my pedestal and found that 5 tubes on each seat will be best so I will have 2 units. As of now they are out in the garage drying. I started by gorilla gluing a pair of 2 together then now I will glue the last one onto the two pairs connecting them. Sorry if this is confusing maybe I will throw up a few pictures later if anyone wants to see how I did it. Cost was $10 for the pvc pipe which will make 2 units with 5 lure tubes in each one and 5 bucks for my small container of gorilla glue.

Overall cost will be around 15 bucks. Oh and I almost forgot before I cut them up and everything I sprayed the whole tube with an engine cleaner which would be the same thing as some pvc cleaner to be sure the glue works at maximum performance.

Good Luck,

Ryan

never saw one never made one. but what about tennis ball containers? couple bucks appiece and the dog gets a lifetime supply of balls. they may be thin plastic but i've used them for lure storage for years and they work fine. plus they have covers, but that would be the weak link. easy to put breather holes and hangers in too.

Good idea! I will try that next time or if my pvc ones fall apart. we have two sets made up now with 5 slots each. we made the first one 12"s because it will be on the front pedestal where we have the half seat so it is up higher and easier to get the lure out. On the other one we cut it down to 10"s because it is on a shorter seat and it will be easier to take the lures out. The back seat moved up and down so you just have to move the seat up to get the bigger lures out like a jake or something.

Tomorrow I am going to run up to Wal-Mart and get some blue spray paint to match the boat and I think it will look a lot better. I will post some pics when I have done that.

Ryan

Here is what I use. Right now I have 14 Rad Doggs on the outside of one of the buckets with room for more. They really hold a lot of baits, and the nice thing is all the hooks are on the inside, so you don't have to worry about hooking yourself.I got them from a guy in St. Cloud who makes them.

Pana0254.jpg

Pana0255.jpg

Pana0256.jpg

Thats looks pretty cool but does your pedestal go in the middle? We have ours made now but I am unable to take a picture because my phone doesn't have flash so it is too dark and our good camera is at my cabin. We got some blue spray paint that is meant for plastic so it will match our boat. After about 5 coats of that stuff it looks great and we now have two units that will hold 5 lures each or more if you were to put 2 in one slot.

Later,

Ryan

Ok thanks guys. I will try to find some plastic or acrylic tubing at the home depot today if not I will just use some pvc. I was th8inking I could attach all the tubes with some acrylic caulking but if I am going to go the pvc route I think some glue will work better.

Thanks again, the more ideas the better!

Ryan

I found a MUCH cheaper solution, nearly free.

I dug around at the local tennis court and pulled out 5 tennis ball containers. Drilled hols in the bottom of them. Next, I found an old 3.5 gallon pail and cut the bottom out. I arranged the tubes inside and pop-riveted them in there. I slide my but seat post right through the middle. It works great.

You will want the largest tubes you can find, at least I think it makes sense due to the typical size of musky lures.

It may not look the best, but I don't care, works just as well and I have enough money in my pocket to buy a couple lures.

never saw one never made one. but what about tennis ball containers? couple bucks appiece and the dog gets a lifetime supply of balls. they may be thin plastic but i've used them for lure storage for years and they work fine. plus they have covers, but that would be the weak link. easy to put breather holes and hangers in too.
I didnt read your post before I replied, but this is exactly what I did.

Good ideas guys! I just like the pvc because the stuff is nearly indestructible. The tennis ball containers are a good idea its just that they are a lot lighter duty. We cross large sections of Lake of the Woods and you need something durable for that.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Ryan

I bought them about 3 yrs ago and really can't remember how much they were. They must of not been too bad because I baught two of them. As far as taking up a lot of space, they really don't. With them being part of your pedeistal seat it really stays out of the way. The main thing I like is that it holds a lot of baits and you don't have to worry about hooking your self. To get an idea on the size, just put your pedistal seat in the middle of a 5 gallon bucket. Then you will know how much room it will take up.

The center part would be pretty easy to make using a 5 gal bucket. What I cant figure out is how a guy would add that ring around he top that keeps the hooks from being exposed.

Is the one in the pic molded as part of hte bucket, or was it added after?

never seen one before but i gotts admit i'm getting pretty inspired here to build it.. somebody said the tennis plastic is too thin. well mabe if your tossing it against rocks but otherwise they are pretty tough stuff even though they're so thin.

The center part would be pretty easy to make using a 5 gal bucket. What I cant figure out is how a guy would add that ring around he top that keeps the hooks from being exposed.

Is the one in the pic molded as part of hte bucket, or was it added after?

It is all one piece. It really nice because with the outer ring you can hang spinner and buzz baits on the outside and all you other baits on the inside.

rebel I just sent you an e-mail

I made mine out of 3" pvc. Except I bolted mine together. I used 5/16" x 1" bolts. I bought a cheap 5/16"x 8 or 9" bit at menards was 6 bucks i think. I used a couple short scrap pieces of the pvc for the center and spaced the PVC pipe around them and held them together with a strap while I drilled my holes and bolted them together. once done take of the strap & I removed the scrap pieces in the middle. Thing pretty indestructible now. Ive made a few..pretty easy to tighten the bolts with a socket on one end and a box end wrench on the other. Ive made a few...they work slick