• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need help/suggestions

eyepatrol

After getting some home improvements done in the past couple years and having a sewer service line repair done last winter, I've got some areas on my yard that are in need of black dirt and seeding. I have 4 areas that need black dirt. 2 areas are about 150SF, one is about 200SF and the largest is about 500SF.

Obtaining the black dirt is done. I got that a week ago - 4 front end loads dumped in specific locations. The problem I have and what I need help/suggestions on is in regards to the black dirt I got.

Each of the 4 piles has chunks of black dirt from 2" up to 8" that are either wet and bound tightly or dry and hard as a rock. My equipment to spread this dirt and smoothen it out for seeding consists of 2 items......a spade/shovel and a metal rake.

With the metal rake, I can hack at those dirt chunks until my arms fall off. I can break them up somewhat, but not completely. Is there anything else I can do to rid myself of these chunks of dirt? Anything else that can be done to break them down, get a nice smooth surface and get my seed on it?

Any processes, suggestions, recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated!

With that amount of space, I'd see if your local rental center has a tractor with a Harley rake attachment. The rake runs off the PTO and counter-rotates to break up the soil and smooth out the humps and low spots. If they have a seeder attachment, get that too. You can run it over the ground to really flatten out the area before dropping the seed.

bigger rental places would probably rent a tractor and rear tiller for the weekend. But at an hourly rate on the hour gauge, but might have a minimum charge also. Awalk behind for our garden 20' by

40' tilled once N-S and once E-S takes maybe an hour to an hour to hour and a half with a 1970's tiller.

Thanks guys. I can get my hands on a walk-behind tiller. My bro-in-law has one for his garden which I've used before. So I'll give that a shot. I'm not sure either if I can find a Harley rake, but I'll ask around. Small town, limited availability of lawn/gardening equipment. smirk

I don't know if I can get a rake behind a lawn mower and a tractor wouldn't really work for my situation, but I wonder if I should roll the areas also? Compact the dirt? If so, when should this be done in the process? After tilling, but before watering? After tilling & watering? Before those two things????

I appreciate the responses!!!!! This will all help.

It's memorial day weekend coming up. Get five cases of beer, some old polka records and invite over all your friends. After dark start up the polka music out back and let them have at it.