• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Most of my shots have been softer lately!

That's right. I've noticed that recently, I've had to throw out many more shots than usual, due to softness. While in bed last night, I figured out why. First thing I did this morning was check my theory. Somehow, I recently changed the AF setting from center spot focus to automatic. Some of my images still had enough exif intact to be able to check my AF setting. My images from a couple weeks ago were shot with AF set at center, and the ones from the last few days were set at automatic. I sure am glad I figured this one out. I was beginning to think there was something with the lens.

I just wanted to share this for anyone else that may run into this problem. For close up subjects, auto may be OK. For birds at a distance and not isolated, center is best.

To clarify, I didn't change the settings intentionally. I have no idea how it happened. I suppose I hit a couple wrong buttons accidentally and never noticed. I know better than to use auto settings for anything. What really ticks me off is, I drove 296 miles yesterday and should have come back with quite a few super shots. Well, I have a handful of decent ones. Live and learn.

I've also done that accidental switch before or forgot it was in manual mode when I thought it was in Aperture Priority mode. Ya know, things happen in the heat of the moment.

But, on the plus side, I found a guy that owed me $60 from almost 5 years ago, when I was in the tackle business. He turned his bait business into a bar. I walked in and reminded him, and he handed me 3 $20 bills. I got my gas paid for. grin This was at Waubay,SD.

I've hit buttons accidently many times. I chimp more than I should, but a plus is that often I'll catch it before it takes care of a whole day's shooting. I have missed some great opportunities, however.

So much can go so wrong without intentionally do ing anything. On one occasion, I couldn't figure out why my camera would not focus on anything through the eyepiece. Got mad and out the camera in the bag and left for home.

Later, I took out the camera, and noticed I was grabbing the camera in the bag in such a way that I was touching the eyepiece diopter. Now I know why the camera didn't look in focus.

I hate when I forget to change the ISO -- end up shooting at ISO 1600 in broad daylight. Though, sometimes the shutter speed flashing at 1/8000 is good indicator, ha ha.

Man, am I glad that someone else does stuff like that. I am constantly forgetting to change my ISO back. It's burned me so many times, it makes me sick. Anyone have a good tip to help me remember to change things back?

I was getting pretty mad one night when I couldn't manage to get my camera to focus on some night time shooting when I realized I still had my polorizer on and it was too dark in the dark to catch a focus point.

I am also in the habit of doing grab shots and forgetting the lense cap on till it is too late.