• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flathead gear

dufek

I am looking at the okuma avenger and epixor baitfeeders. Anyone have experience with either/suggest one or the other. Would I be ok with the 50 or should I jump up to the 65.

Any experience with the shakespeare wildcat or the eagle claw/HT counterparts?

I wanted to mention this as I finally got to see one the other day, but also check out the PENN LiveLiner. I really liked the feel and design of it.

In fact if they would have had a 5000 in stock, it would've came home with me grin.gif

well that makes that decision pretty easy. I was lookin at the king cat but dont feel like driving an hour to cabelas or paying the shipping. Anyone used the shakespeare wildcat, ht ol' whisker.

Also I saw the discussion on tape vs mono backing. Is this a personal preference, ford/chevy topic or on a 40+ lb fish am i gonna be down to my mono.

Sorry bout all the ? but just moved here from WI and haven't found a proper salmon/steely substitute yet so im gonna log some hours on this and wanna do it properly. The thread you did Hanson has been very helpful thanks!

Depends how much $ you want to burn. There is no reason to spool up the entire spool with a SuperBraid. You shouldn't need anymore than 100-150 yrds of the braid. Use the mono as a filler. If you tie a good knot and use like 12lb mono or greater you still will even have a fighting chance if the remote possiblity happens that you get down to the backing fighting a fish.

Or if you don't mind using the entire spool of braid, then just use tape.

I prefer spreading it out to 2 or 3 reels instead and use mono.

Just my experience, but unless you are in raging current, even a very large flathead will not go on a major run.

IMHO, if you catch a catfish that take you out far enough to get into your mono backing, it deserves to get away. I just don't see it happening.

Save yourself the money and fill the spool part way with mono backing. If you use something like 20lb Trilene Big Game, I wouldn't even be concerned with it breaking should you get down to the mono backing.

300+ yards of Power Pro is expensive!

"Deserves to get away"????

I hope you didn't just curse yourself. confused.gif

If that ever happened to me, I'd be a wreck. Sure it may be spendy, but unlike my mono, I don't replace it every year. At least I haven't, I don't know about everyone else. I have also heard people reverse spooling in for a second year.

Also, it's just as easy or easier (less line) to reverse spool with mono backing. Just stop at the mono cut your knot and reverse \:\)

There is not a right or wrong way.

I just like the cost savings of a backer.

Anyone who has fished with 20lb mono knows it is tuff stuff. I would not be too worried if I ever got down to my backing. I also reverse spool to get a couples years out of my line. Need to save every penny with gas prices these days.

I've tested my knots(20lb. mono backing to super braid)and have found it to be pretty strong. It should be able to hold up if the situation should ever arise.

I hsolist'ed an Epix 40 as I thought the 50 was a little large. You can't find them in the states, so this was a foreign jobby, but still made by Okuma...They just changed the name to Epix. The Epix and Epixor models are identical. I think I paid approx $65.

Heck......no. Well not on my current set up. I believe it spools only 150 yards. At that point he's pulling me in. Although I think I may have with my Okuma, which has a larger capacity, a couple years ago.

I guess I answered without thinking about it too much. Even if you reversed that, you'd still waste a lot of line that probably would never have touched the water.