Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
dufek

flathead gear

I am looking at the okuma avenger and epixor baitfeeders. Anyone have experience with either/suggest one or the other. Would I be ok with the 50 or should I jump up to the 65.

Any experience with the shakespeare wildcat or the eagle claw/HT counterparts?

I wanted to mention this as I finally got to see one the other day, but also check out the PENN LiveLiner. I really liked the feel and design of it.

In fact if they would have had a 5000 in stock, it would've came home with me grin.gif

The 65 is massive. I fished with a guy who had one on the Sturgeon Excursion this year, and it seemes like overkill.

The EB50 is a solid reel, like Mr. Hanson said.

well that makes that decision pretty easy. I was lookin at the king cat but dont feel like driving an hour to cabelas or paying the shipping. Anyone used the shakespeare wildcat, ht ol' whisker.

Also I saw the discussion on tape vs mono backing. Is this a personal preference, ford/chevy topic or on a 40+ lb fish am i gonna be down to my mono.

Sorry bout all the ? but just moved here from WI and haven't found a proper salmon/steely substitute yet so im gonna log some hours on this and wanna do it properly. The thread you did Hanson has been very helpful thanks!

Depends how much $ you want to burn. There is no reason to spool up the entire spool with a SuperBraid. You shouldn't need anymore than 100-150 yrds of the braid. Use the mono as a filler. If you tie a good knot and use like 12lb mono or greater you still will even have a fighting chance if the remote possiblity happens that you get down to the backing fighting a fish.

Or if you don't mind using the entire spool of braid, then just use tape.

I prefer spreading it out to 2 or 3 reels instead and use mono.

Just my experience, but unless you are in raging current, even a very large flathead will not go on a major run.

IMHO, if you catch a catfish that take you out far enough to get into your mono backing, it deserves to get away. I just don't see it happening.

Save yourself the money and fill the spool part way with mono backing. If you use something like 20lb Trilene Big Game, I wouldn't even be concerned with it breaking should you get down to the mono backing.

300+ yards of Power Pro is expensive!

"Deserves to get away"????

I hope you didn't just curse yourself. confused.gif

If that ever happened to me, I'd be a wreck. Sure it may be spendy, but unlike my mono, I don't replace it every year. At least I haven't, I don't know about everyone else. I have also heard people reverse spooling in for a second year.

I use all PP and reverse spool it every year. It will last a long time but, DTRO & Ralph are correct, its spendy.

I would guess I only spool up 150 yards total.

Also, it's just as easy or easier (less line) to reverse spool with mono backing. Just stop at the mono cut your knot and reverse \:\)

There is not a right or wrong way.

I just like the cost savings of a backer.

Anyone who has fished with 20lb mono knows it is tuff stuff. I would not be too worried if I ever got down to my backing. I also reverse spool to get a couples years out of my line. Need to save every penny with gas prices these days.

I've tested my knots(20lb. mono backing to super braid)and have found it to be pretty strong. It should be able to hold up if the situation should ever arise.

I hsolist'ed an Epix 40 as I thought the 50 was a little large. You can't find them in the states, so this was a foreign jobby, but still made by Okuma...They just changed the name to Epix. The Epix and Epixor models are identical. I think I paid approx $65.

Heck......no. Well not on my current set up. I believe it spools only 150 yards. At that point he's pulling me in. Although I think I may have with my Okuma, which has a larger capacity, a couple years ago.

I guess I answered without thinking about it too much. Even if you reversed that, you'd still waste a lot of line that probably would never have touched the water.