Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50inchpig

A Big Fish and Little Story

10 posts in this topic

Last day of carping, not too many fish left in the shallows. It was a little slow, so I'm moving around a little, chasing the boils and bubbles, catching a few fish, and I see the back half of an arrow sticking out of the water. Next time I looked the arrow was swimming. I realized it was a carp that someone had shot that had broken the line.

I chased her around for about 20 minutes and finally managed to get close enough to wrap my line around thes shaft of the arrow and reel it in. WOW - never seen a carp this big before. I got her wrapped, cradled, and into the boat. The arrow hit her dead center right in front of the dorsal fin and traveled along the top of her spine toward her head. I only had a little pair of pliers with me and couldn't break the arrow. I still had the lid from a can of corn I opened last week and used it to saw through the shaft - never though that would have worked.

She taped out at 33-34". I weighed myself twice at 185 and weighed myself with the fish twice at 214, so I'm confident this fish was 29 pounds (I keep a bathroom scale on the boat). Really a beautiful fish - hope she can tough it out. If any fish can survive an injury like that it's a carp. I don't know if the serious carpers will be impressed or not but I thought it was pretty sweet. Pics are from a cell phone, the foot pedal in the background is a normal size Maxxum.

1210130168.jpg

1210130147.jpg

pretty sweet you could saw off the shaft with the lid from a can of corn! Best of luck to your fishy, hope she survives.

I've never seen a carp with that dark of fins and light colored body. Is it a buffalo fish?

Looks more like a big, fat, round torpedo! Thanks for sharing the story! I guess bowfishing is more sporting than I thought \:\)

Thanks for clarifying on species - this was my first year of real carping and I don't think we've caught any bigmouth buffalo yet. Much more fun than the crappies.

Very nice buffalo! Hard to believe it was swimming around still.

That's crazy! I have never seen that before. Yeah I hope the buffalo makes it, but I wouldn't count on it.

Nice Buffalo.

The first time I boated a Buffalo I saw a dead fish on the surfice. After a bit it started to move! I chased it down with the Bow mount motor and found it was one of three Big mouth Buffalo on a stringer. They looked as though they had been on the stringer for some time.

Thank you for reminding me of that. Fun on the water!

I just looked at the pic of your fish again. What a plump pig of a fish. They do have a cartoon type look to them. It must be those Brown eyes and smooth head.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.  
    • Catfish is right up there with walleye, perch, trout, steelhead, salmon, flounder, grouper.....
    • What does it matter what Bernie Sanders had figured out considering the DNC blatantly rigged the primary against him? And then they tried with all their might to do it again and were exposed.   Face it, you party is fueled by people who are showing that they are the very ones they claim to be fighting against.    Immoral, intolerant, violent, judgemental and full of hate. 
    • hope to have my nills by next weekend to do some testing. 6 incher. putting it with a ryobi 600 pound torque drill with 4 amp batteries. sold the clam plate and auger. friend also use it with the milwaukee drill and same hang up issue. used an 8 inch k drill on bowstring last week with the milwaukee fuel.  opened holes nice and drilled nice. 
    • Trump totally destroyed by hundreds of thousands the numbers that were in attendance for the inaugurations of LBJ and Gerald Ford. Trump again wins. Just win, win, win, win, if not pretend you did.   He may just do the same thing to the country, so don't get to excited.
    • Just drove down from the Brainerd area. Lots of snow up there but going fast. Saw 4 young guys in a ditch south of there with not much snow and one sled with hood up smoking bad. Their still learning you need snow to cool your liquid sleds!
    • What a fun election cycle, first Trump dismantles the Republican party and may take them to even lower lows by winning. Then even more surprising is the Democrats totally imploding all on their own and losing to Trump in the process. No hollywood script can compete with this kind of crazyness, just happy to be alive to witness all of this mess and hope there is much much more to come. Something tells me I won't be disappointed, I am almost excited for the next one, 4 years ago I never would have thought that in my wildest dreams.
    • If this crazy weather keeps up a guy might have to go to the mountains to have enough snow to ride.
    • I purchased a 20v 986 Dewalt brushless and used it with my Nils 8" and could not believe how fast it cut. Very close to my Tanaka motor as far as speed. My plan is to use it with my 6" Nils but wanted to give it a good test and it passed with flying colors. 
    • Pretty sure Bernie had that figured out. After the primaries I voted for "not Trump" You guys haven't picked up that liberals are still going for not Trump, even if that means Mike Pence (who from a political position standpoint is worse for liberals).   Instead you have Trump, a man incapable of taking any form of criticism regardless of how irrelevant it is to anything. Why do I post the crowd sizes? Because Trump, in a speech given only to members of the CIA, thought it was important enough to mention, as well as to have a team of his own people there to applaud when he mentioned the size of the crowds.
  • Our Sponsors